Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any luck with fly fishing for trout/salmon at night? I've heard that fish are more aggressive at night, but I haven't had the chance to test the theory out. I'm also a bit skeptical of swinging a rod tied to a sharp hook around my face in 0 visibility.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I night fish ALL summer long. One of my favorite things in the world!!!

This year, I took the advice of a well known PM guide and started wearing saftey glasses at night, orange or clear lenses work the best.

Takes some getting used to but worth it to save your eyes.

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
The big boys get real active at night and will take up different feeding stations. Stations that are more often than not easier for us to target. They don't scrutinize their food as much either. Night fishing is a hoot!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Chinook and Coho both move more under low light conditions. They are also far less spooky in limited visibility.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Night fishing can be very productive, especially for summer browns as mentioned above. Since visability is low, my experience is baits that appeal to their sense of smell or motion. Bottom bouncing spawn in front of their face usually works, especially late fall - early spring. I will also use something like a hot n tot or jointed rapala (black and gold). When fishing steel I catch more fish during the day....but with short days and work, I end up fishing mostly after dark. Nature of the beast...gotta get out when you can... you can still catch plenty of fish!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts