Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got a chance to get out for once in last 10 days, and met a member and his fiancée at the launch(only a couple hours late:rolleyes:) Alarm clock problem:lol: Wind was great, and new the weather was dicy, so ran NE of island to 20 fow(about 5-6 miles). Started setting lines with not getting all 8 in before a fish on....cool, here we go. Well a sheep. Then a board disappears and rod bent good. Well, figured it was a cat, but came unbuttoned(which cat don't usually do:confused:. Trying to show the ropes on setting things to the crew who hadn't trolled hardly ever, and help his fiancée learn to steer, didn't notice how fast the storm popped up:yikes: Turned and saw the dark to the west, had them pull it up on the phone, and holy s h I t! I said pull em! pull em! So of course now we have another fish on which was last rod in, and a nice 20" eye, go figure. No holding down the speed to save fuel this time, ended up right in the teeth of of it with a few others just outside the island. Atleast no lightning or heavy winds, but was as wet as jumping in the lake:lol: Can't remember what color took the fish now, but 40 back over 20' which has been a lot of the fishing I've been doing so far this year. Good thing we got in, found out had to work, so had to get home quick and shove boat in garage and fly to Saint Clair to work:SHOCKED: Long day and night. Hope to get back out soon, maybe this afternoon or wed. if weather cooperates. Have to get outside and dry out everything in boat now. This was one time where I was glad to have a little xtra h.p., get as big a motor as you can afford for sure when getting a boat.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
i was driving back home i-75 at 1;45 yesterday.just a little north of bay city..alarm went off on truck radio ..a minute later all hell broke loose. people pulling off cuz you couldn't see nothing but rain and hail..i got down to 20mph but kept going an ran out of it in about 2 miles...first thing that popped in my mind was the guys out on the bay..it was scary...
glad you made it in ok..

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Good that you made it back with just getting wet. We had same thought sunday morning. Watching the sky and radar decided to pull lines and get back to launch ASAP.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Amazing thing was.....storm completely missed my house -
Essexville/Bay City area off Center.

Major cells to the north on the bay and then just south and then new
line formed around Munger and out into the thumb.

Crazy at how the storm lines start/stop - increase/decrease near the water.

·
Michigan Sportsman
684 Posts
Wondered how you fared out their Ralph, Doesn't take long for them storms to pop up :yikes: Your right have to respect the Bay and have the pony's to get the hell out of their ;) Hope fully we catch a break and get a stretch of decent weather ...

Nice meeting ya at the launch, have to say you have a heck of system , I'm sure when all those rods are in the water gets busy quick :)

·
Premium Member
30,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wondered how you fared out their Ralph, Doesn't take long for them storms to pop up :yikes: Your right have to respect the Bay and have the pony's to get the hell out of their ;) Hope fully we catch a break and get a stretch of decent weather ...

Nice meeting ya at the launch, have to say you have a heck of system , I'm sure when all those rods are in the water gets busy quick :)
Thanks, nice meeting you also. Yeah, if I can get enough people in boat, hard not to get enough meat in the water:lol: Would like to on a calm day, get 6 in the boat and try to run 18 rods, just for the fun of it:yikes::lol: I need to buy more boards first to run 8 on each side. A reason to go to Northwoods and Franks:D

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
We try to run 10 everytime out but have capability to run 16 but if two or three get hit then the cluster "f" is no:yikes:. Once you get that number you need someone that can handle the boat very well plus no waves.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Hey Ralph, we were out just north of you the same time. I kept a eye on it and told the guys we need to make waves to the black hole area asap or we are going to be sorry. We pulled our 12 lines of lead core and max out the motor n.w. We got a little wet, but we out ran it. Drop lines in 20 fow, pulled 2 more, pulled lines again after the storm passed south of us. Went back top our same spot and finished our 4 man limit in short order. Bobby came up to get some relaxing fish time in. All spoons on 2,3, and 4 color lead core in 20 to 25 fow. N.E. of the spark plug. There are some pics on facebook. I pushed the wrong button on my cell phone. Had a great time. I even brought big bob fish food. LoL

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Thanks again Ralph, really really appreciated it, even if we did fish for 15 minutes :lol: It was impressive how fast those storms popped up. No warning, nothing. Now that I got the hang of it again we'll have to get back out soon. And set the clock for AM!! She's itching on getting back out now so we'll have to let her get some :D

·
Premium Member
30,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hear you Ron, didn't take the time to want to head further out, good thing since I had to work. Glad you guys hammered them:) That's the area I was heading to, but stopped short with the weather forcast. Giving it a try here around 3 today again:D

Chris, will let you know. Definatley will try and get you guys back out so she can get into some bay walleye for her first time.....but no more waiting past 15 min., let alone 2 hours.:yikes::lol: I did get some stuff straightened up in boat although it was trashed earlier again when I pulled it out of garage. Drying in the sun right now for a launch.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Those storms can be treacherous on the bay.

·
Premium Member
30,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
2 Hrs. Late, I would have left him standing on the dock. Ha Ha..
Yeah, but with the kinda luck he has, I was expecting something:lol: Plus it was his fiancée that wanted her first walleye, so was trying to help out. S h I t happens, we've all made mistakes. I'll give him one more chance, and he better be early with cold beer!:D:p

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Yeah, but with the kinda luck he has, I was expecting something:lol: Plus it was his fiancée that wanted her first walleye, so was trying to help out. S h I t happens, we've all made mistakes. I'll give him one more chance, and he better be early with cold beer!:D:p
I just knew you had an ulterior motive for cutting Chris all that slack. Stuff does happen and it isn't too bad if it only involves you and them. I sure hope to fish with Chris someday. If he's late I'll break him from sucking eggs. :lol:

·
Registered
25,847 Posts
Eye am used to fishing with the Oldman, I always get there a 1/2 hour early, But I am still always late. LOL..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts