Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Food for thought, how would every one think of a split season that would possible be like 20 days then a two week closed and then finish up the rest late into December?

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Season dates this year were about perfect. I would advocate for pushing all seasons back 1 week, any more than that and you're playing with fire...

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
still got four days left before i think about next season. but i still think the season needs to move back at least a week.

i mean i supposed to hunt upland game and squirrels, bow hunt and duck all in the first three weekends of october?? move the duck back and free up some extra weekends for my springer i know he is all for it!!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
this argument goes both ways push it back and miss the woodies and teal

the pros would be maybe more flight birds at the end but risk of freeze out

it wont change

·
Registered
11,744 Posts
Food for thought, how would every one think of a split season that would possible be like 20 days then a two week closed and then finish up the rest late into December?
so hypothetically if season opens on the 1st weekend in october your advocating closing season down roughly on the october 25th and opening on november 8th or so. I don't know about you but that was and always is the heaviest migration days. can't really say i can get behind that.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
this argument goes both ways push it back and miss the woodies and teal

the pros would be maybe more flight birds at the end but risk of freeze out

it wont change
I'd push it a week. I'm pretty confident that the woodies and teal would stick around another week (atleast in Zone 2) if they weren't shot up the first weekend on October.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I say start a week earlier in october so we can get at the woodies and teal then close down for 2 weeks - last in october then open up again and stay open til second week in december... This is of course for the southern zone, other zones may need different seasons... Possibly to save the big water guys could there be a 2 day season like it is now for certain species?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
***Newsflash***

Ducks don't have little calendars in the marsh that say, " October 11th, get ready to head for the South". Waterfowlers have the shortest term memories of any sportsmen in my opinion. You could look back over the years and see years when there was below freezing temps in September, 90 degrees in October, snow on the southern zone opener, early crops, late crops, no crops, etc.

I personally think the season dates were just about perfect this year to cover all the grounds in comparison of what the historic migration dates are. Birds will migrate as much based on the photoperiod, upper level air masses, and food availability as they will the snow and cold. The whole idea of those "big ol' redlegs" or "wow look at the fat on this one, had to come from Canada", "look at the size of the head on that one" and so on all makes for great conversation, but in reality, birds have/had begun migration many many weeks prior to the supposed "late birds" showing up.

By far my worst season yet in 10 years of waterfowling, however, I don't see a need to risk missing out on prime hunting by doing a closure during the traditional 1st peak.

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
The only way to satisfy everyone's differing opinions is to only allowing hunting four days a week. Saturday, Sunday, Wednesday and Friday giving us 15 weeks and can start somewhere around middle september to sometime in december. :gaga:

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
The only way to satisfy everyone's differing opinions is to only allowing hunting four days a week. Saturday, Sunday, Wednesday and Friday giving us 15 weeks and can start somewhere around middle september to sometime in december. :gaga:
Yaaaaa ! I like that ! Where do I sign.....:)

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think even a small split in the middle or 3/4 of the way thru could help with stale birds.

Does anyone have thoughts about an early (say 1 week) woody and teal season?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Waterfowlers have the shortest term memories of any sportsmen in my opinion.
You're right, they're never willing to try something different in order improve their chances. The word compromise is not in the vocabulary of the average weekend warrior.

·
Premium Member
7,087 Posts
I too believe they were about perfect. The normal freeze dates are pretty much on record and if you look at where we are this season, freeze is upon us. Someone just forgot to tell the birds, sorry.

Good years and bad years are the norm. We had a bad year guys. Who can answer the question as to why the migration was poor through Michigan this year?

My suggestion would be to consider using the southern zone split (only one is allowed) differently. The 2 day late season is fun to beat the band for the few who utilize the opportunity. The vast majority of hunters do not use the 2 days to hunt ducks, fact. The question would be, how would one want it used? The possibility of shutting down at the peak of a migratory push is always there.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I Don't see how that would satisfy everyone. When birds are around I hunt every day regardless of weekday or weekend. Why would I not have wanted to hunt the first 14 day of season straight this year and then look at the frozen lake for all of december?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts