Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 60 of 124 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,000 Posts
... His answer shocked me. Al Jazeera....

Al Jazeera is kind of like the Rolls Royce of news services. I recall they had boots on the ground when there was catastrophic flooding in the great plains and the midwest of the US. Their english language channel and site is surprisingly good as an alternative for a world news perspective..

PBS NewsHour is my go to for the evening news.

I do not have cable TV in my home.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
NPR is truthful but their bias shows through. Usually in about five seconds.
Have to agree. Been listening for years. I love their programming, but anything remotely political is usually somewhere left of center. Most of their segments (even Stephen Henderson for Detroit Today) spent last four years condemning conservatives. Not trying to bash NPR or make this overtly political, but it's the truth.

Anyway... if you want fairly blasé local news newsradio 950 AM. Online news that isn't biased? Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
19,632 Posts
Have to agree. Been listening for years. I love their programming, but anything remotely political is usually somewhere left of center. Most of their segments (even Stephen Henderson for Detroit Today) spent last four years condemning conservatives. Not trying to bash NPR or make this overtly political, but it's the truth.
Yes left on Henderson!

Still better than Tavis Smiley of years past! At least Stephen can have a conversation without saying My Brotha

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
I use quite a few of the major news sources (really everything but CNN) to be made aware of the stories that these news sources think I should be paying attention. Then I search out the source material and try to get the scoop from the horse's mouth and put the bread crumbs together myself instead of letting someone else arrange the bread crumbs for me. Bread crumbs make lousy puzzle pieces because they can be fit together many different ways, and if you leave some out or make up some new ones to fill in gaps, it's hard to tell what happened from looking at the finished picture.

This approach does take more time on my side than taking what I hear on the radio or TV as gospel, but I'm finding more and more that by the time real news (no, not political stuff that the TV wants us to be be hanging onto every word because another partisan thing just happened) hits the TV national news circuit , I'm usually already a day or two ahead of them and recognize the dishonesty in their piece.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I use quite a few of the major news sources (really everything but CNN) to be made aware of the stories that these news sources think I should be paying attention. Then I search out the source material and try to get the scoop from the horse's mouth and put the bread crumbs together myself instead of letting someone else arrange the bread crumbs for me. Bread crumbs make lousy puzzle pieces because they can be fit together many different ways, and if you leave some out or make up some new ones to fill in gaps, it's hard to tell what happened from looking at the finished picture.

This approach does take more time on my side than taking what I hear on the radio or TV as gospel, but I'm finding more and more that by the time real news (no, not political stuff that the TV wants us to be be hanging onto every word because another partisan thing just happened) hits the TV national news circuit , I'm usually already a day or two ahead of them and recognize the dishonesty in their piece.
Same, but I will occasionally put on CNN to see what spin they are using.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Try listening to Charlie LeDuff's NO BS News (it's a weekly podcast). He usually can leave one side or the other a little irritated depending on the subject. This tells me he is pretty much in the middle (I would say more right leaning). He is truly trying to get the 3rd party ball rolling.

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,182 Posts
Wow, some crazy wrong posts here and I haven't read them all yet!

I'll go with NPR/PBS & Fox, maybe MSN (Microsoft network) and any AP source, even the WSJ or USA Today, then do the math and make a decision I think is accurate.

Last thing I'll take seriously is what a politician or the actual show hosts says is all you should watch or need to watch.
Baaa Baaa.gif

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I rely on various forums such as this one and just assume everybody's is wrong until they show evidence to the contrary or I decide to dig for info. Outside of that, I prefer to grow my own garden. Statistically I have about 20 years left, I don't plan to waste it on stuff I have no control over.

·
Registered
839 Posts
NPR, of course. Zero spin. All legitimate angles covered while skipping the conspiracies, lies, and QAnon. Pure news. It gets knocked as boring, but that's really the point, isn't it? It's not built as entertainment for the sheeple but instead as raw facts and learned opinions for the thinking man.

Also, the weekend programming is funny af but I do dearly miss click and clack from Car Talk.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
No spin of you listen to Blue Lake or Interlochen, maybe. As there is no other talk radio stations up this way, I still tune in to the news side (CMU) now and then, but more and more often, they are laying it on thick. Don't go out of my way to catch prairie home companion these days either, since they started adding political references.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
And when you see the Billionaire dollars backing them, turn it off and watch cartoons , better yet fishing videos on u-tube , discovery channel or the HISTORY channel
I'm confused by this one. Who else is going to own a news company other than somebody that has the money to do so? Why is it en vogue to act like being rich is a bad thing? That generally means that your were more successful in your field than everybody else. That's a good thing. We should all strive for excellence and if some people are cool with mediocrity, they should exit the gene pool. Is it just a culture wide inferiority complex?

This isn't directed at you specifically but it really touches a nerve when excellence, eliteness, wealth, education, expertise, etc are looked down upon by humans that have achieved so much less. Don't we teach our kids to do well in school so that they can pursue higher education and a good career?

Oi vey

·
Registered
839 Posts
I'm confused by this one. Who else is going to own a news company other than somebody that has the money to do so? Why is it en vogue to act like being rich is a bad thing? That generally means that your were more successful in your field than everybody else. That's a good thing. We should all strive for excellence and if some people are cool with mediocrity, they should exit the gene pool. Is it just a culture wide inferiority complex?

This isn't directed at you specifically but it really touches a nerve when excellence, eliteness, wealth, education, expertise, etc are looked down upon by humans that have achieved so much less. Don't we teach our kids to do well in school so that they can pursue higher education and a good career?

Oi vey

I don't think he's against them owning the company so much as them directing the output. Whether a political agenda or sensationalism driven, then they should not be allowed to be labelled a news source. Obama took away their accountability, but he forgot to eliminate any of the government subsidies along with it.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I don't think he's against them owning the company so much as them directing the output. Whether a political agenda or sensationalism driven, then they should not be allowed to be labelled a news source. Obama took away their accountability, but he forgot to eliminate any of the government subsidies along with it.
I'll sidestep the Obama content so that we don't get shut down for being political.

Who should direct the content? Should there be an upper salary/net worth ceiling in order to have influence? If you owned a newspaper, wouldn't you expect to have more influence over it than anybody else? I would. I make every decision for my company. Maybe we should leave it up to the "professional social media influencers" to pick our stories.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I'll sidestep the Obama content so that we don't get shut down for being political.

Who should direct the content? Should there be an upper salary/net worth ceiling in order to have influence? If you owned a newspaper, wouldn't you expect to have more influence over it than anybody else? I would. I make every decision for my company. Maybe we should leave it up to the "professional social media influencers" to pick our stories.

If they get paid out of my tax money at all, then they should save any outside influence to the mere facts of the story. When they are free of any subsidizing, they can print whatever opinion they like. They receive funding because they are a communication asset to the country. They use to have stricter constraints or more liability for their output. However you want to look at it.

41 - 60 of 124 Posts