Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

21 - 40 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
NPR, of course. Zero spin. All legitimate angles covered while skipping the conspiracies, lies, and QAnon. Pure news. It gets knocked as boring, but that's really the point, isn't it? It's not built as entertainment for the sheeple but instead as raw facts and learned opinions for the thinking man.

Also, the weekend programming is funny af but I do dearly miss click and clack from Car Talk.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I miss Dr Science as well as Car Talk.

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
Perhaps the bias is mostly in the eye of the beholder. If a paper, article, speech, etc disagrees with or disrupts one's personal views, said viewer is likely to assume it's "biased against him." There's a principle referred to, as I recall, as the pocketbook rule - if a viewpoint affects my pocketbook, I'm most likely to view it as incorrect.

Don't get me wrong - the over-sensitivity and extreme political correctness of NPR or any news source can turn me off at times, but I want facts from the news and that's where they usually live.

In my experience with NPR they are extremely anti big business. When they are talking any topic that involves big companies like oil or automotive they laugh off any facts brought up in favor of big business. It can be nauseating to listen to at times. My wife listens to NPR daily. I am not a very poltical person and i hate talking politics. I really dont watch/listen to any news ever. I mostly just read online. NPR drives me nuts sometimes.

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
While Frontline, POV, and Independent Lens are usually pretty good, any time they bring in their experts on a discussion show you can pretty much count on left, really left, and whack job left. Rachel Maddow?

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
BBC is usually pretty fair.

RT if you don't mind a Putin love fest. Certainly they can say what they want and not worry about twenty years of tree counting at -60F.

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
I passed on that hopper hoping it would be 45# next year but the neighbors aren't into quality hopper management and antenna length restrictions. Rumor is th SOB shot it over a pile of lettuce too.

Weekly World News. Man I'll never forget the farmer that shot a 40lb grasshopper in his corn field. Hopefully he had it stuffed and mounted.

·
Premium Member
6,276 Posts
I drive a lot on a daily basis. My listening habits on XM radio are lately almost 100% news sources, with a smattering of comedy or sports.

My presets for news include Fox, CNN, NPR and Breitbart (Patriot on XM). I find that if I listen to all four sources discussing the same topics, I can consider them all and draw my own conclusions relative to the "truth". I am unable to find Newsmax or OAN on XM radio, but I'd consider those comedy stations anyway.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
How is one supposed to know if their particular choice in news source is unbiased and fair?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Pick out a story and compare its coverage on preferred network to a multitude of other sources, read articles on the matter, snopes it, etc.

For instance, if a particular network thinks that everything Trump does is amazing, flawless, and without reproach and can argue all negativity away by yelling fake news and conspiracy and then another network reports that everything Trump does is insane, inept, and so evil that he hosts a poker game every Friday night with Beelzebub, C'thulu, Hitler, and Barbara Streisand, there's a good chance that neither news source is reporting the news in a "fair and balanced" manner.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Pick out a story and compare its coverage on preferred network to a multitude of other sources, read articles on the matter, snopes it, etc.

For instance, if a particular network thinks that everything Trump does is amazing, flawless, and without reproach and can argue all negativity away by yelling fake news and conspiracy and then another network reports that everything Trump does is insane, inept, and so evil that he hosts a poker game every Friday night with Beelzebub, C'thulu, Hitler, and Barbara Streisand, there's a good chance that neither news source is reporting the news in a "fair and balanced" manner.

Ain't nobody got time for that! I don't even have cable TV!
I'll just go fishing.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

21 - 40 of 124 Posts