Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m headed to Newfoundland on a Moses Hunt next month, and in my prep I noticed your ammo needs to be separate from your firearm (ie not in your locked gun case). How the heck do you guys fly with ammo? What kind of case do you put it in? Does it need to be locked like a gun case? Any help would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
20 Posts
Normally when I fly, I put my ammo in a small plastic ammo can and lock it, then put in my suitcase. On a side note I have not flew into Canada, just to Africa this way.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Put in your regular checked baggage. Should be in original packaging or closable reload case if you reload. Does not need to be locked. I just got back from duck hunting in Canada

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Put in your regular checked baggage. Should be in original packaging or closable reload case if you reload. Does not need to be locked. I just got back from duck hunting in Canada
Exactly what he said! I chose to put mine in a lockable container, but that is because I didn't want anyone fussing with it. You MUST make sure that you have TSA Locks on your gun case as well as ammo case (if you choose). As a side tip, when you get to Pearson, you need to go see the Custom Agent in the Luggage Terminal to get your gun. You then take that to the customs agent and do paperwork and then go back around and check your luggage. While you are there getting your gun, take a look to see if your luggage is on the belt too. If it is, grab it. I was told that my bags were checked all the way to Deer Lake when I checked in at DTW. I think I was told something different since my bags did not arrive into camp for 3 days after I arrived.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I'll be putting the ammo in a small lockable case, in my checked bag, separate from the gun case. I've got all the TSA locks for everything. I was just confused as my outfitter told me the ammo cannot be in the gun case, which is what I've done when flying for trips to wyoming, colorado, ect.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Exactly what he said! I chose to put mine in a lockable container, but that is because I didn't want anyone fussing with it. You MUST make sure that you have TSA Locks on your gun case as well as ammo case (if you choose). As a side tip, when you get to Pearson, you need to go see the Custom Agent in the Luggage Terminal to get your gun. You then take that to the customs agent and do paperwork and then go back around and check your luggage. While you are there getting your gun, take a look to see if your luggage is on the belt too. If it is, grab it. I was told that my bags were checked all the way to Deer Lake when I checked in at DTW. I think I was told something different since my bags did not arrive into camp for 3 days after I arrived.
This is not correct. TSA rules state you are to be in control of your key and the gun case accessable to NOONE but YOU. That means no TSA lock on your weapon case! They will have you open your case and view the contents, swab it, then sign off and you place the sign off inside the case and they witness you lock it back up. I just went thru this last year flying to Alaska. This is especially important if you have layovers, you don't want that weapon being compromised or getting a call to come down to TSA. Keep a copy of the rules printed off and inside the gun case if you are challenged.

I keep ammo in it's original case and packed inside checked bags.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
This is not correct. TSA rules state you are to be in control of your key and the gun case accessable to NOONE but YOU. That means no TSA lock on your weapon case! They will have you open your case and view the contents, swab it, then sign off and you place the sign off inside the case and they witness you lock it back up. I just went thru this last year flying to Alaska. This is especially important if you have layovers, you don't want that weapon being compromised or getting a call to come down to TSA. Keep a copy of the rules printed off and inside the gun case if you are challenged.

I keep ammo in it's original case and packed inside checked bags.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition
From the website page you linked
"Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
FYI I've also done the same flight as Mallardmaster 2 other times. Once I had the ammo in its original case. Once it was in a reload case. Both times in checked baggage. Both times locked with TSA lock. Zero issues

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
FYI I've also done the same flight as Mallardmaster 2 other times. Once I had the ammo in its original case. Once it was in a reload case. Both times in checked baggage. Both times locked with TSA lock. Zero issues
I retained the keys on all of my trips for the TSA locks. The one time I didn't was my first trip overseas and I did not use a TSA Lock. They called my name over the loud speaker at DTW and I had to go back to the gate and check back through security. Last fall I had TSA approved locks on everything and didn't have one issue at all with the opening/closing of cases. Biggest hassle was just making sure that I kept all of my paperwork organized (which is an OCD thing for me), which turned out to not be an issue.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Ohhh....one last thing. I am not sure if it is required or not, but I ran a lock through the floorplate and the action. I also made sure that I left the bolt in the gun case as well. Just makes things look a lot better when you are showing them that you are taking safety serious.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
To each their own. There are numerous articles that tell you not to use TSA locks on your firearm cases. I had a conversation with TSA in metro Detroit and said absolutely not to use TSA locks on guns.
https://tsatraveltips.us/guns-cases-and-air-travel/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Reactions: brushbuster

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Here as well
Screenshot_20190916-140030.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,970 Posts
I just got back from Alaska. When they checked my firearm and ammo they required a lock on the firearm case, I did not have a tsa lock nor did I want one, and the ammo had to be separate and it had to be in the original case, it couldn't be in a magazine. They made me remove all ammo from my clip and put it in the original package which was a bit in tatters from 3 weeks in the wet Alaska bush, but that's what they wanted.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Interesting stuff. Perhaps this is something that has changed in the last 48 weeks. I personally had zero issues with using a TSA Lock last October, but maybe they have taken a tougher stance on this. I suppose at this point in time the best course of action for your to take is to pick up the phone and make a call down to the airport and speak with an agent.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
I just returned from Saskatoon,SK Friday of last week. Several guys in my group had TSA locks on their case. I did not. None of us had anyone tell us to do things differently. In fact there were 2 instances where not having a TSA lock was a disadvantage.

#1 while checking in my gun at Grand Rapids I had to give the TSA agent my combination so he could check my rifle even after the ticket agent had me put the unloaded tag in the case.
#2 while checking rifle back in at Minneapolis after clearing customs the rifle cases went through a scanner and then some were opened and visually checked by TSA after going through. Luckily mine was not picked for a visual check otherwise I would have had to give them my combination again. The rifles that were checked had TSA locks on them so they were no issue.

My 2 experiences in Pearson were similar to Mallardmaster. Flying back out of Deer Lake is simple and the people there are very helpful and friendly. Strangely enough when flying back through Pearson/Toronto you clear US customs in that Airport not DTW.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I retained the keys on all of my trips for the TSA locks. The one time I didn't was my first trip overseas and I did not use a TSA Lock. They called my name over the loud speaker at DTW and I had to go back to the gate and check back through security. Last fall I had TSA approved locks on everything and didn't have one issue at all with the opening/closing of cases. Biggest hassle was just making sure that I kept all of my paperwork organized (which is an OCD thing for me), which turned out to not be an issue.
A side note from Mallard Master’s post. Last fall I was departing DTW with a Master lock on my hard case. The lady that checked me in ask me to stay close by for 10 minutes in case TSA had any issues with my lock. After 15 minutes I headed for my gate. After arriving in Phoenix and going to baggage claim, I find my unlocked case with the broken lock taped to it. So I took it over to the missing luggage area and told them that TSA must have broke my lock testing it and I wanted a witness when I opened it in case something was missing. Fortunately nothing was missing. When I headed up to Alaska this last spring I had the TSA locks. No problems. I retained the keys both times.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So I’m headed to Newfoundland on a Moses Hunt next month, and in my prep I noticed your ammo needs to be separate from your firearm (ie not in your locked gun case). How the heck do you guys fly with ammo? What kind of case do you put it in? Does it need to be locked like a gun case? Any help would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
I just checked my firearms in at Pearson airport in Toronto on Canada airlines this morning. I did not use TSA locks. Ammo has to be separated in a check bag. I have a pelican vault case for my guns and plastic ammo can for my ammo. Bolts need to be out of the guns and leave them in the gun case. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would have been. Now I pray that it makes it to Newfoundland.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I just checked my firearms in at Pearson airport in Toronto on Canada airlines this morning. I did not use TSA locks. Ammo has to be separated in a check bag. I have a pelican vault case for my guns and plastic ammo can for my ammo. Bolts need to be out of the guns and leave them in the gun case. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would have been. Now I pray that it makes it to Newfoundland.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Thats all you can do!! Hopefully you will get your bag at either Gander or Deer Lake. Here is a Hot-Tip for you! IF you don't get your luggage, do not wait around for the luggage to 'show up'. There are not a lot of people on that flight and it doesn't take long to unload. Go straight to the Air Canada desk right away so you are in the front of the line. There are only a couple gate agents and it takes FOREVER to process this stuff. My guide yanked me out of luggage line and we went straight to the counter to file a claim. By the time I was done (10 minutes), there were 20 people in line waiting.
If you do not get your luggage, keep in mind that the people in Newfoundland are the salt of the earth. My outfitters wife went through their entire house and hooked me up with stuff. I did pack all of my hunting cloths in my backpack so I had that with my binos and other stuff.
I am sure though that you will have no issues and skate right into camp with all your gear!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts