Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a little tired of using (but still appreciate:) ) my father-in-law's old bow from the early 80's. It is a fine bow, i guess, and I have never had the opportunity to fire it at a deer...but I would like a bow to call my own.

I am looking for suggestions on a bow that I should keep my eye out for. I am not looking to spend a ton of money and understand that I will not be getting the best...but what would be some suggestions for a used bow between the free to 200 dollar range that I should examine? I would like to stay near the 100 dollar mark. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Bowtech archery is the only way to go, ive shot mathews, hoyt, pse but bowtech is by far the best. They are pricey like the mathews but if you can find a dealer with lastyears models you can usually get a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
loweboats said:
Bowtech archery is the only way to go
didn't them things come with collaspable limbs??? :lol:

I would like to stay near the 100 dollar mark. Thanks in advance.
have ya thought about a recurve?
fundamentally they can teach you more and there's virtually no overhead on accessories.
I'm not tryin to burst your bubble but you can barely touch a good set of arrows for that kind of money nowadays and even all your accessories to outfit your bow,is at the minimum,going to be close to that.
I know money is tight all around in this great Michigan economy were having but if ya find a decent bow for that kind of money I have some entry level accessories I give you for free to outfit it,I even have some field points to practice with and some broadheads I could swing your way if your serious about wacking a deer.

good luck in your quest:)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Yeah, I don't mean to add another bursting to the last bubble as well. But to give you and idea of what some of this stuff costs:

I just paid 120 for one dozen arrows
I just paid 100 for an arrow rest because I wanted to try a new one
I bought a new Sims stabilizer for 22$

On a different note, where are you located? I still have my old Hoyt I was going to get rid of - not 100$, but maybe 200$ish give or take a little. It's a Vortec. PM me.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I had a heart attack....now that I am thinking about it, I did hear my fatherinlaw say he spent a little under a grand for a new mathews bow and accessories... holy smokes---do I get a refund on the stuff if I don't even get a chance to pull back on anything for the next three years as well???:yikes:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
28-28.5.... not sure about the lbs though...not sure what the bow was that I was using...or how to determine that
(what I would like)

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
bows do get expensive i just had one restrung (35.00) red head red dot(40.00) bracket for red dot(55.oo)new rest(65.00)dozen carbon(85.00)thunderhead 125 broadheads(35.00) stabilizer(25.00)bow case(45.00) and use xi magnum (85.00) so not to bad of a deal.
and thats just for my back up bow. i have another xi and love these bows paid $75.00for just the bow so yes you can get a decent bow for under $100 bucks but getting it set up will cost a bit of money depending on what you want on it

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Some great folks here that will really help you out if they can. ANother website that is all things archery is www.Archerytalk.com. They have a classifide section with 100's and 100's of bows for sale. Sometimes in there forums you have to wade through a bunch of "y bow is better than yours" crap but there is a wealth of information there as well. It's likely though, a member here as something to fit your needs and budget....like I said, great folks here.

What model bow are you currently shooting? Release, etc? Provide as much info as you can think of.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
ok first off you don't even know if its just something you want to try,,,,or a lifetime passion for you.
there are many fine bows out there under three hundred.
you don't have to buy every item you can bolt to the bow.
a basic sight, release, and some basic aluminum arrows with fixed broad heads and field tips will service you for years. plenty long enough for you to learn about equipment , what you personaly really need. and if you even want to go any further into archery
heres my advice then to you.
buy from a archery shop. they have knowledge and will help you get started. maybe with a good used bow. they know that if they treat you right and get you loving archery you will come back to spend more money.
do not fall into the trap that faster is better. it is to a degree, but if the bow is not forgiving of your errors it won't do you any good.

·
Registered
532 Posts
sullyxlh said:
I know money is tight all around in this great Michigan economy were having but if ya find a decent bow for that kind of money I have some entry level accessories I give you for free to outfit it,I even have some field points to practice with and some broadheads I could swing your way if your serious about wacking a deer.

good luck in your quest:)
Same here, try to spend about $200 on a bow, and post up if you need anything else. I got some extra stuff sitting around I could maybe help you out with. I'm sure I could find a wrist sling laying around somewhere. ;)

Ben

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions, bow offers, and accessory offers...the people on this site are really great- an asset to outdoorsmen and Michigan. I have gotten a number of offers and am considering what I want. One thing that I do really want to have in my bow is more than 50% letoff... Not a huge amount, but that was what the wooden bow was that I was using. After a few minutes...the arm would really ache.

But I haven't gotten the right bow offer yet---no one has offered me a guaranteed DEERSLAYER....refund payable upon miss.:lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts