Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Newburgh Lake

17711 Views 94 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  michcats
I was going to head over to the Highland Rec area, but decided to stay close to home at Newburgh. 12 inches of ice where I was. Managed to pull a nice bass and small panfish in. On my last cast down, I was jigging a minnow aggressively and sat my pole down to toss my friend bait and all of sudden my pole smacked the hole and snapped my line instantly. I have to think that it was a pike, as that's the only real toothed predator in there. Learned my lesson to never set the pole down!
Reactions: RLWagner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts
WRONG, there are huge walleye in there.
Reactions: RLWagner and Esox31
When they restocked the lake they put in eyes, pike, blue cats , perch gills, pike , bass and believe it or not browns. I know for a fact that the eyes survived cause there's a few places I catch them from in my kayak. Sorry about my post above, that came out sounding pretty dick ish.
I’d be interested in your spots lol.
When they restocked the lake they put in eyes, pike, blue cats , perch gills, pike , bass and believe it or not browns. I know for a fact that the eyes survived cause there's a few places I catch them from in my kayak. Sorry about my post above, that came out sounding pretty dick ish.
I bet lol. I grew up on that lake. My parents house is just a few blocks away. I used to skip school all the time and go fishing down there. Had a ton of fun fishing that lake over the years.
Reactions: Esox31 and Jimbo317
No worries at all! It may have very well been a walleye. My friend had a nice fish on at the same spot last year that we thought was a walleye, but we couldn't confirm as it broke free. Newburgh is one of my favorite lakes. You never know what could be on the end of your line
It used to hold 36" + pike (all day) , 15-16" crappie and GIANT bass.
Reactions: Esox31
I never get skunked when I head out there. Like to try new things all the time when I venture out there.
I've caught some 7-8lbers out there before. Believe it or not, it's always on 1oz rattle traps.
No worries at all! It may have very well been a walleye. My friend had a nice fish on at the same spot last year that we thought was a walleye, but we couldn't confirm as it broke free. Newburgh is one of my favorite lakes. You never know what could be on the end of your line
I'll have to stock up on those and actually plan a weekend to take the kayak out for them. I tried Phoenix lake in the morning but got the big goose egg.
I've caught some 7-8lbers out there before. Believe it or not, it's always on 1oz rattle traps.
Where’s the public parking in Newburgh?
There’s two spots you can park on Hines. One is just to the west of Newburgh, then if you keep heading west there is another spot with a building. Both are between 275 and Newburgh.
Cool. I’ve driven by that lake so many times thru the years working. Always wondered about it. Used to frequent the yacht club back in the late 80’s early 90’s.
Reactions: Esox31 and Jimbo317
I can be a awesome lake. Check the south side for big fish.... wink wink
There used to be a huge sandbar on the south side we would walk out halfway into the lake and fish the drop off on both sides of it. Once they cleaned it out they got rid of it. It has started to form back again but it's only a few feet long now. If u can find it there's always fish around it
Reactions: J Sibert and Esox31
I think I might have an idea of where you are talking about.
There used to be a huge sandbar on the south side we would walk out halfway into the lake and fish the drop off on both sides of it. Once they cleaned it out they got rid of it. It has started to form back again but it's only a few feet long now. If u can find it there's always fish around it
Planning to stop by after work. Is there a close time for the park/parking lots?
If you park at any of the county lots, they give you the boot at dusk.
Planning to stop by after work. Is there a close time for the park/parking lots?
Reactions: FugOwEe
Anyone been out in the last couple days?
Went out Tuesday night, only small gills
Anyone been out in the last couple days?
Reactions: J Sibert and Esox31
1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.