Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,021 Posts
Did you eat it? And as many dink panfish as I caught it doesn't surprise me that it was chubby...

Well, here's to your attempt at BIGGER!:fish:

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
That lake is hard to fish but VERY rewarding. I've caught big white and black crappie out of it, big perch, and believe it or not some really big walleye. I usually fish from my kayak during the spring and summer however I have ice fished it before. Grew up on that lake and have very fond memories when I was younger. Really cool lake!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Last year was the first year that we used electronics there and there is some cool structure if you can find it, along with the old river bed. The east bays have treated us well.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Yeah the created a bunch of structures when they were done dredging it. The spawning beds are really cool to fish around tge drop offs.

·
Premium Member
7,021 Posts
Did they drain to dredge? Just wondering if there are any pictures of the lake bed.

When did this happen?

Checked it out myself with a few typed probes and found some great resources.

Got a hydrographic map and saw several pictures while drained. Also reviewed some of the early stocking efforts. Great little riddle this lake has become for me. May be back out Saturday morning.

·
Premium Member
7,021 Posts
The walleye stocking efforts caught my eye. Last done in 06'. Would be a tough wally to survive till now. I would be surprised if any natural walleye reproduction were happening.

My aim is nice crappie and if a larger nordern were to hit the ice that would be my bonus catch.

What is in Newburg Lake are those stocked fish and any that enter from the upper reaches of the Rouge. And, don't doubt for a second that it's urban landscape would lend it to be an exotic fish receptacle. I would be surprised if carp were NOT present.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The Rouge is carp heaven. Some awesome fishing for them right below Newburgh. There are some nice crappie in there, you just have to find the deeper holes and steep slopes. I seen someone post a picture of a few trout caught in the river stretch in between Phoenix lake and the Waterford pond dam. Super cool

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
U are correct, there used to be rainbow and browns in there. As for the walleye, I've caught plenty over 7lbs. Like I said it's an amazing lake, just gotta spend some time on it to figure her out!!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Where did you find sucker minnows around there?
Not super close to Canton, but not that far, there's a party store in Ypsi, corner of Textile and I can't recall for the life of me, Huron??? Can't recall the name of the party store, and as soon as I do will post. I little bit further from you, Peter's Hardware, just west of 23 on 36, right across from Buck lake, carry all your bait needs. I was at Peter's last Saturday, excellent bait. Not like the good old days, when we had Hudson's and Michigan Sportsman right in good old Canton!!

Reactions: gunfun13

·
Premium Member
7,021 Posts
U are correct, there used to be rainbow and browns in there. As for the walleye, I've caught plenty over 7lbs. Like I said it's an amazing lake, just gotta spend some time on it to figure her out!!
You talked me into fishing for walleye!!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Not super close to Canton, but not that far, there's a party store in Ypsi, corner of Textile and I can't recall for the life of me, Huron??? Can't recall the name of the party store, and as soon as I do will post. I little bit further from you, Peter's Hardware, just west of 23 on 36, right across from Buck lake, carry all your bait needs. I was at Peter's last Saturday, excellent bait. Not like the good old days, when we had Hudson's and Michigan Sportsman right in good old Canton!!
I can't find that party store in Ypsi that sells live bait and don't have the friends #, he was just there Monday, will get that info!! Also forgot about Zubok's on Vanborn in Taylor, doesn't open till 10 and pricey.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I can't find that party store in Ypsi that sells live bait and don't have the friends #, he was just there Monday, will get that info!! Also forgot about Zubok's on Vanborn in Taylor, doesn't open till 10 and pricey.
roundhouse liquor store (I think that’s the name). On the corner of bridge and textile road.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts