Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. A friend and I are going to be getting into duck hunting this year and with all the reading and research we've been doing we ended up getting psyched about goose hunting. Naturally, are only response was to give it a try as well. After a few trips to the sporting goods stores and some online purchases that you must swear to never tell my wife about, lots of reading, and some practice on the calls we were ready to give it a try.

On Mondays opener we set up in a cut hay field we were seeing birds in a few weeks earlier and were able to get permission to hunt. This spot was and is by no means the X any longer but it's what we had to work with. We saw some high fliers and heard lots of gunfire but couldn't get any birds to even give us a look. My buddy spotted a single goose flying way off in the distance so we hit the calls hard, flagged a little bit and it made a 90 degree turn right for us. Life is good. The bird set its wings for a few moments and then started to flair off so we popped up and my friend, John, was able to connect sending the bird among our decoys. Our first goose hunt and we didn't strike out. A burden was lifted from our shoulders. That was the only goose we had even close that morning.

Fast forward to this morning. I don't know what we did so right, but I'm not going to complain about it. We called in a group from behind us that gave us a good look but never circled back after its first swoop by. My heart was beating something fierce and then sunk as they flew off into the distance. Not 20 minutes later we spot a large group in the distance ahead of us heading somewhat our direction. We hit the call as did some flagging and they started to head our direction. They veered the other way and I began to wonder what we had done wrong. As luck would have it they were joining with another group we hadn't seen way to our left and the now larger group, we estimate at 75+ headed our way. Some began setting their wings as soon as they came over our field while a smaller branch of the group waited till they got closer. "Take em!" I said as they drifted over our decoys. I picked a bird fired and missed. I racked another shell and gave it another rip. The bird folded. I racked my third shell picked another bird and fired. Another miss. My buddy missed all three of his shots but the misses didn't bother us as we let out a yell of excitement! Despite the misses the whole event couldn't have unfolded any better as far as the birds were cocerned. The weight is now lifted off my shoulders.

2 completely new goose hunters, two days of hunting, 2 birds. To some that's nothing but to us... We'll, we're hooked.

We figure we should have had at least 4 birds but we'll just have to do a bit (OK, alot) of shooting practice. I'm pretty sure we were leading the birds too much. The one I hit I had the bead on its head, and the ones I missed I was leading probably 3-5 feet. In hindsight shot traveling at 1400 fps with shots this close don't need much lead at all, but we'll just have to get out and do some experimenting with my theory. :D

·
Registered
376 Posts
Great story!! Wheres the pics? I would be sure to stay on that land owners good side.;) Good luck with the rest of your season.

·
Premium Member
7,112 Posts
I remember my first field hunt. It was 1988 with 1/2" thick homemade plywood sillouettes. Learned really quick the value of being light weight and mobile!
Congratulations, the first one is the hardest, most addicting and suprisingly but not necessarily the coolest. Hold on tight, it will be a blast of a ride!

·
Registered
584 Posts
If i wasnt a goose hunter already, i would definitely be one now. Its great that your not beating yourself up about missing birds. We all miss. We had a fock of 30 at 20 yards this am and only dropped 1. It happens.:sad:

·
Registered
95 Posts
PICS!

Nothing better than all your hard work paying off. Its just that much sweeter when you get out on your own and put some meat in the freezer.

I remember our first kills goose hunting. We had hunted the season previous with no luck. We worked on our calling, flagging and setting deeks all summer long. We put more time into getting ready to hunt than actually hunting. Finally after we set on a cut wheat field a group of 6 we a ways out. I smacked the calls while my buddy hit the flag. We got em turned. Had em coming strait for us and LOW! I had to whisper to my buddy to calm down, wait for it, wait for it TAKE EM!

We only got 2 out of the group but each of us got one. It took six shots for two birds but it was well worth it. The excitement was more than my first deer. I was hooked. The hard work finally paid off. We went from nothing to being able to turn and drop birds. To think of all the fudge suckers that never get to experience this, what a rush. People at work ask what I did over the weekend I just tell them I had the best time of my life.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Oh no!! not another lowlife waterfowler!:sad: You can find your support group every weekend in a marsh, or field, or lake near you.... "Hello, my name is _____ and, well uh, I like to hunt waterfowl.......

·
Registered
426 Posts
congrats!!! and welcome to the sick addiction of waterfowling. I went out for a sunday night beer and a some football only to be made fun of by a group of guys for my obsession of hunting webbed foot birds.....:rant:

i just laughed knowing that I get more enjoyment and memories from an unsuccessful day of freezing cold, sleet, wind and hunger with my favorite hunting buddies, then they ever would from an $85 round of golf and beer.:lol:

Enjoy it and keep those awesome stories coming :evil:

Marsh~

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
What are you apologizing about 2 geese??? Some of us "experienced" hunters have yet to stop a heartbeat, and not for lack of trying.

SAY IT LOUD AND PROUD!!!

Good shooting.

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
welcome to the sickness.
Exactly! Enjoy!!

the virus will soon overtake you, consuming your thoughts and any sparetime you thought you had.

soon, chasing deer and pats will not even enter your thought pattern - that's prime time duck/goose killing time! :p

·
Registered
45 Posts
Believe it or not but all this talk about preparing for the addiction is true, last year i had never been duck/goose hunting, this year i have invested in a boat, 14 mallards decoys, 2 1/2 ffd goose decoys, 2 layout blinds, and a new gun.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Excellent!! You did some serious research because you tell the story and have the waterfowl lingo down like a pro! No worries about the shooting, most of us still crap our pants and miss the jumbo's at 10 yards. 30 years from now it'll be just as exciting!!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Welcome to the team boys! :D
:yeahthat: And in regards to shooting geese in the decoys: "Put it on the beak"

Good luck! :yikes:

·
Registered
813 Posts
You two will also notice the increase of your vision. Nothing will go unnoticed flying above or around you. The "bug" is in full effect!!:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts