Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a son and one of his buddies shooting today.
Kid had never fired a rifle (we got him over the shotgun hump earlier in the year)
He was shooting pop cans @ 100 yards with an AR in short order.
Moved on to hand guns. He had zero experience. Started out with a Sig Mosquito so he had the same manual of arms when we moved on. He was hitting cans at 10 yards immediately. Backed up to 15 yards. No problem.
Handed him a 9MM P226, backed him up to 25 yards after a few mags. He was doing great.
Kept giving him smaller and smaller pistols, P229, P239, all good.
Then we gave him a 9mm Springfield EMP.
Now the kid is not hitting the standing cans, but the ends of cans he knocked over.
And cans partly hiding behind stuff.
He is a natural, took very little coaching to get him a good grip and stance. An understanding of his sight picture. And to get the southpaw to shooting right handed, he is right eye dominant.
He had a lot of fun, the kids ran me through 500 rounds of 5.56 and another 750 of 9mm and a couple hundred .22. It was well worth every damn cent getting another kid shooting. :)

·
Super Moderator
37,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Kid and I stripped his Sig 516 AR for a cleaning after all those rounds. The Grease in the upper was still white. Nothing to clean except for the barrel and some cursory piston scrubbing just so we could say we did, and that was shooting that cheap Brown Bear Russian stuff........... I am liking this piston gun maintenance. :)

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Piston is by far the way to go. Our m14's remained clean and cool after several hundred rounds everyday

1 - 3 of 3 Posts