Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Newbie question

581 Views 13 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  fishinghorseman
Heading to the river thursday pm. I have done a search and couldn't fined anything on this. How does everyone run there dead stick on the river. Thank you to everyone who does post on here. You help more than you could believe. Tight lines
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
I'm no seasoned vet at this but I have used both a jigging rap and a silver spoon as my dead stick and both have caught fish. Same display with a minnow head and i keep it about a foot off the bottom.....every few mins i will reach over and dip it down to hit the bottom a few times.
Heading to the river thursday pm. I have done a search and couldn't fined anything on this. How does everyone run there dead stick on the river. Thank you to everyone who does post on here. You help more than you could believe. Tight lines
Reactions: fishinghorseman
This works well
I'm no seasoned vet at this but I have used both a jigging rap and a silver spoon as my dead stick and both have caught fish. Same display with a minnow head and i keep it about a foot off the bottom.....every few mins i will reach over and dip it down to hit the bottom a few times.
Reactions: fishinghorseman
I was thinking i needed a bobber.
Early and late my dead stick is a tip up in the shallows.
I have seen guys do that, i never have...I'm to intense to get too far from my deadstick rod...when i see it hit, I give a small jerk and see if I'm hooked up. Last time out caught a 24" that way. Good luck...lot's of fun, I'm looking to get back up there this weekend.
I was thinking i needed a bobber.
How about a standard drop shot rig that you would use for bass? I use the the VMC spins shot for bass. I haven't made it over there yet, but that's what I was planning on trying. Maybe just hook a small minnow through the nose. Anyone else do that???
Reactions: MrFysch
I use a standard two hook perch rig/crappie rig with maybe a half oz sinker. I've been using the little gold snelled hooks that come in the package and hook the minnow in the lips. I use a bobber stop and a flexible bobber that has a slide piece that stays underwater and does not freeze. Drop it right on the bottom, I wait for that bobber to disappear much like watching the line go out on a tip up. After Saturday I put little trebles on to see if I can increase the hook up rate. Sometimes I think I put too much time into messing with the deadstick and should just concentrate on the 2 jigging rods.
You ever double up on that rig? That would be crazy to get two 3-5 lbers on at once.
I use a standard two hook perch rig/crappie rig with maybe a half oz sinker. I've been using the little gold snelled hooks that come in the package and hook the minnow in the lips. I use a bobber stop and a flexible bobber that has a slide piece that stays underwater and does not freeze. Drop it right on the bottom, I wait for that bobber to disappear much like watching the line go out on a tip up. After Saturday I put little trebles on to see if I can increase the hook up rate. Sometimes I think I put too much time into messing with the deadstick and should just concentrate on the 2 jigging rods.
It could happen!!! These were smalls.
Road surface Asphalt Wood Fish Water
I always run a deadstick with a larger spoon (blue silver jigger or a Marge and Frank moonshine, sometimes a jiggin rap) with a minnow head on it or a jig head with a stinger and a full minnow. When they come in and come up to it, if they don't hit it, and they usually don't, I just start lifting it and teasing em'. I do the same on the bay as well. I always hang one and jig the other. I have a true deadstick rig too with slip bobber but I like the weight or thump too much to run it!
Thanks everryone cant wait till thursday .tight lines
Reactions: perchjunkie
slip float and a size 12 treble hook..enough weight to keep the minnow from swimming circles around my other lines ..keep it about 6-8 inches off bottom(the bait) with a large walleye shiner.. a lot of the time,if a fish moves up on my jig rep,and doesn't hit,it will go to the dead stick and hit.. during high sun,i use smaller minnows and early /late I use larger .. 3 lines,2 dead sticks and I jig between em.. if you don't have or use electronics ,the live minnows are a good way to know if fish are moving in,they go nuts..
Thanks will give it a try today. Heading to bc for afternoon/evening
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.