Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into trapping for a couple of weeks now I went and bought a book and a video. So Now I have a few questions, is it to late in the season to start trapping? My hunting buddy who would be learning with me said he has 16 long spring traps from his grandpa. Sorry but i'm not sure what size or brand they are. Would you recommend that I just stick with them and try to catch some muskrats and coons along creeks and ditches? Should I purchase some 110 conbears to go along with these long springs? I have access to lots of private property with fields creeks swamps ditches woods. Do I buy some coil spring traps and try to catch some fox and coyote. Please Help I really need to know what I should do. I have to buy dye and wax and scents and everything. I have nothing. Please help lead me in the right direction.

Books

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Trapping is a great way of getting in the out of doors and experince nature. To begin with I have not trapped in years but when I am able, when my 2 sets of twins get a little older I would like to get back into it. I started out when I was 15 or so. Found some of my uncles traps victor #1 longsprings down in his basement. Take a look at where you want to trap get permission if needed and get a michigan trapping guide to see what is still in season. Need to know all the rules. The best way to learn is to try and find someone near you with experience, I tend to think hands-on is the bestway. If that is not possible do some research books, magazines I think fur, fish and game is an excellent magazine to get alot info and links to other resources. This site should also help you out. Need to learn about the animal you want to trap. Muskrats are a good start. I think in most areas they are around, marshes swamps creeks and general rivers. Like I mentioned I have not trapped in many years and am no expert but I do know that it is great to get out there and see what you can catch. I guess basically do some research on whats in the area that you want to trap and make sure you have permission to trap the land you want to trap and know the rules and check your traps. There is a lot more but, this might get you thinking. Just my thoughts.
Good luck
Matt

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Books,

I am new to trapping this year. I started trapping with my dad in October. But I can tell you what I know. If you are going to go after coyotes and fox I would say go with a #2 or #3 CS. Also if you are going to trap ditches for coons you can use the longsprings. A trick Joe R. told my dad and I is take the chain off the spring side and place it on the opposite side. So when the coon pulles away it pulles toward the spring. As far as being to late to start trapping I wouldn't say yes but I will tell you that it is harder to trap now then when we frist started trapping w/o snow on the ground. Hope this helps you.

-Psebuckmaster17-

1 - 3 of 3 Posts