Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, simple yet hard question...

Can someone give me a quick crash course on pike fishing?

I've fished for panfish since I was a kid. Bass as well. I've never really done much fishing for pike and would love to give it a shot. I tried to find as much as I could on it (online) but the information is either over my head, or not for my location (mid-michigan lakes).

Can someone give me a quick runthrough of what to do? I can use the trial/error method after that, I just wanna know enough to get started.

Thank you in advance!

(ANY information, no matter how little would be great.)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
tipup with a treble hook and a splitshot about 2 feet up from that. we use shiners and suckers and fish about 2-3 feet from the bottom. just make sure your not in seaweed. stay above it a couple of feet.once the flag is up wait for the pike to run 1-2 times then set the hook . good luck.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick anwser and good info!

Just a treble hook? No Jig head or anything like that? Any paticular size bait I should use? I know bigger bait = bigger pike, but what is a good size?

Last question for now...

What lb test do I need? I have no idea how a pike will fight/etc?

Thanks for the info guys! Past, present and future!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Lwapo said:
Thank you for the quick anwser and good info!

Just a treble hook? No Jig head or anything like that? Any paticular size bait I should use? I know bigger bait = bigger pike, but what is a good size?

Last question for now...

What lb test do I need? I have no idea how a pike will fight/etc?

just a treble hook and 30 lb test with a splitshot 2 feet up. i try to buy the biggest minnows i can 5-8 inches. they will feel like a rock when you have them on but the closer they get to the hole the more they will fight but there not too bad.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Try a red treble hook and a shinner i fish on a lake with lots of weeds so the pike will travel just a bove them i only put the bait 2-3 feet down. when the flag goes up the most important thing is to let the fish run. the pike will take the bait but not swallow it right away once the fish stops moving wait a minute or two then set the hook. I use a red treble hook with a black steel leader just to be safe. Good Luck.
A.J.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've heard that the people who spear love it to death. Is it expensive to get setup with? The one thing I've always wondered is how they get that give of a hole in the ice? Chainsaw?

I might just have to give spearing a shot sometime :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts