Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm a lifelong hunter, but have never hunted waterfowl before, but while purchasing all of my hunting licenses recently, I said what the heck, if I'm spending money that will (hopefully) go to good use, why not add in a waterfowl license to the tab. So I bought my first waterfowl license and federal duck stamp which just came today (actually two came in the same envelope). I saw the instructions about signing the stamp and did so, but my question is what do I now do with the stamp? Do I take it and attach it to my printed Michigan hunting license? I'm guessing me getting two stamps was a mistake by the feds :rolleyes:, or is that normal? I likely won't actually be hunting any waterfowl, but I'd obviously like to be legal should I decide to give it a try. Thanks.

·
Registered
duck, goose, grouse, woodcock, turkey, deer
1,214 Posts
yes, sign it and affix it to the back of your small game (or any) lisence
nowadays, with dnr able to check your purchase in the field, maybe they will lay off being intense about signing/affixing
I think you can also sign it and carry it separately
your 2nd was an error - buy a lotto ticket, it's your lucky day
Thank you for supporting waterfowl habitat/dnr, even if you don't hunt - a good cause

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, sign it and affix it to the back of your small game (or any) lisence
nowadays, with dnr able to check your purchase in the field, maybe they will lay off being intense about signing/affixing
I think you can also sign it and carry it separately
your 2nd was an error - buy a lotto ticket, it's your lucky day
Thank you for supporting waterfowl habitat/dnr, even if you don't hunt - a good cause
Thanks for the clarification!

·
Registered
573 Posts
You must have a signed stamp with you. It doesn't actually have to be affixed, but it's a lot easier than carrying the awkward sized backer it comes on. Covering it in packing tape is a good tip!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I've always affixed mine to my hunting license and then signed it.

....I've also always bought two licenses: one for hunting and one for collecting. I feel that the money goes to the resource and some day maybe my grandkids (if I ever have any) will benefit from the stamps increasing in value.

Reactions: mi_hunter65

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
You must have a signed stamp with you. It doesn't actually have to be affixed, but it's a lot easier than carrying the awkward sized backer it comes on. Covering it in packing tape is a good tip!
I was told 2 years ago by a Michigan CO that the stamp must be affixed. I had my stamp signed and had my licenses saved on my phone. He didn't give me a ticket that time but said if he checked me again it better be affixed to a printed waterfowl license.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Gotta sign the Fed stamp. The most common waterfowl violation.
I save my stamps, so it's real small.
I had a debate with a CO claiming I hadn't signed, as he checked me on the lake, and it was a litlle rough.
I told him I signed a Primary. He said, "What?"
I explained feather physiology. Then he saw it.
Then he called me Sheldon...

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
I was told 2 years ago by a Michigan CO that the stamp must be affixed. I had my stamp signed and had my licenses saved on my phone. He didn't give me a ticket that time but said if he checked me again it better be affixed to a printed waterfowl license.
So what happens if a out of state Waterfowler with his local license signed buys a out of state license to hunt here? The stamp is good for all 50 states.

Reactions: BumpRacerX

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
He was searching for something to ticket me on but couldn't find anything. I was goose hunting a field in the morning about 1/2 mile from a school. He started by saying I couldn't hunt there because of the school. When I questioned that he got pissed and wanted to find anything he could. The way he acted, I'm sure that wasn't the first or last time he was wrong or flat out lied.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I sign mine and then put it in a double ziplock baggie with my license. My first year I signed it and didn't do the ziplock thing. By the end of the season it was mush. Had a CO stop me, showed him the mush and he was nice enough not to write me. But that thing was toast.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts