Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello me and my wife have recently decided to start trying to fish for trout. I have fly fished for about 5 years all most exclusively for pan fish and bass. We have tried taking some advice from the guys at the local fly shop but have had no success. My wife doesnt fly fish but uses a light weight spinning setup usually with a crawler. Anyway if someone would like to take us out and show us the ropes a little we would greatly appreciate it. It doesnt have to be your hot spot or anything like that, just some place to get a better idea of what to do. PM us if you would like to help a couple of newbs. Thanks alot. :) :fish:
P.S. We are strictly catch and release. Which means if you wanna keep the fish you catch we will take a raincheck. No offense.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Check with your local Trout unlimited or if there is a Federation of Fly Fisherman club near you, they normally will be glad to help new people. There is one person I know if, Paul Jacobiac (sp) in your area who is a very good fly tyer instructor and good caster. I do not know if Paul is working out of a local fly shop but I will try and find his email to get you connected.

I am a bit far from you over in ann arbor but I think you will find some help

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I just got a 1 yr free membership to TU so I'm goin to be sending that in this week. If you find that email that would also be a big help.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went out Wednesday night for about an hour on a small stream and didnt hook anything or even have a bite. I tried drifting a crawler for awhile and then used my fly rod which i am clueless as to what is hatching so i just picked something.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
RedChevy said:
Hello me and my wife have recently decided to start trying to fish for trout. I have fly fished for about 5 years all most exclusively for pan fish and bass. We have tried taking some advice from the guys at the local fly shop but have had no success. My wife doesnt fly fish but uses a light weight spinning setup usually with a crawler. Anyway if someone would like to take us out and show us the ropes a little we would greatly appreciate it. It doesnt have to be your hot spot or anything like that, just some place to get a better idea of what to do. PM us if you would like to help a couple of newbs. Thanks alot. :) :fish:
P.S. We are strictly catch and release. Which means if you wanna keep the fish you catch we will take a raincheck. No offense.
I'd help ya if I was over that way.

The best advice I can give you is to get a guide. You may find it the best money you have ever spent on anything to do with fishing. Most are experts at what they do and cut your learning curve down dramatically. They will teach you casting, reading water, bugs, knots, different fishing techniques and above all they will give you plenty of chances at catching fish.

Most guides are Catch & Release only but there are a few that will allow you to keep your catch. Just ask...they'll gladly accomadate to someone paying them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guides seem to be kind of exspensive. We are both college students so that should give you an idea on the kjind of budget we are on. I wish we could afford a guide. Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
RedChevy said:
Guides seem to be kind of exspensive. We are both college students so that should give you an idea on the kjind of budget we are on. I wish we could afford a guide. Thanks again.

I know they seem expensive but for what you get in return, the knowledge that will benefit you for years to come, it's worth the money. Kind of like taking a class in college.

Many guides have days open that they can't fill. Call a couple up and see if you can explain your budget and work out a deal.

Or maybe someone a bit closer to you will step up to bat.

Let us know when you start catching them!:)

·
Registered
849 Posts
Shoot me a PM, I'll take ya fly fishing. I live in Otsego so you may have to head north 40-60 minutes though, I don't fish much south home.

·
Registered
95 Posts
When I got started in fly fishing, I did not have money to spend on a guide. The person that helped me the most was Glen Blackwood, who now owns Great Lakes Fly Fishing in Rockford. He is very patient with newcomers, and will get you started. I took fly tying classes from him years ago when he was at Thornapple Orvis in Ada. After class was over each night, he volunteered to teach me the flies I needed to know to catch Steelhead. Learning to tie flies yourself will save you both a ton of money and it is fun. He is very knowledgable about the Rogue River in Rockford - not far from you. The river is easy to wade, has good access, and has trout - that's where I learned to fly fish for trout and steelhead. Call Glen, tell him what you are trying to do, and he will help you get started.

Also, since you signed up for TU, the local chapter is called Schrems West Michigan Chapter. They have a website. They also own a property on the Coldwater River not far from Hastings. Contact them and I'm sure someone will be willing to help a newbie couple get into fly fishing.

I would like to help you myself, however, I am now living in Florida.

Let me know if you both catch a trout on a fly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts