Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after a lot of reading seems a lot of people on here have property in newaygo couty. just wondering who you are and where ya at? i currently own 40 acres over in bitely. for years i leased 200 acres off of oak just north of big jackson school and church. it'll be interesting to here from everybody.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Howdy neighbor,
both from wayne county and newaygo county (Big praire twnshp). Gotta love those friendly people in newaygo.
Drive 3 hrs north of deeeetriot and we've open the livestock gate to the North :D

·
Registered
324 Posts
Drum, I have a cabin and land just outside of Bitely as well. I am between Big Star and Nichols lake. It sounds like I am only minutes from yourself and welchman. We should meet sometime at the Tavern for a beverage.

Any of you have a lead on someone to do some light dozer work in that area? i need to do a couple of hours of work on my property in the next month or so.

nice to meet all of you newaygoens,

sjhawkeye

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'm just south of bitely off of woodland park rd. i'd like to do some dozer work too. thought about renting one. my neighbor up there rented one from somewhere a few years back, i'll have to find out where.

·
Registered
15,937 Posts
I'm very close to your lease off of Oak. I'm 1 mile west of Oak, at the corner of 14 mile and Poplar. About 1.5 miles NW of BJS, as the crow flies. Who's land did you lease? Sweet? Jurnstead? Cousineuo? (sp)
Where exactly was the lease and when did you lease it?
BTW, Tracker83 and I have been trying to figure out how to get some type of Big Jackson School management co-op going. Perhaps this thread is a good start? I have several neighbors around me loosely doing some type of improved program. Maybe if we could assemble a list, that would help others, who are on the fence and fear "if I don't, my neighbor will"?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i leased off of oak just north of 14 mile {the old christmas tree farm} the owner was gerald lutz, he has since passed. thats how i lost the lease, kids inherited it and saw dollar signs. we leased from 1999 to 2003. i noticed a few years back they cut some of the national forest back there. there are a TON of deer in that area and some big boys also. hope this helps.

·
Registered
15,937 Posts
That's funny. It's a good buddy of mine that bought that property you leased. And I used to rabbit hunt it before you leased it. Small world.
Jerry Lutz had land all over by us. He also let me rabbit hunt some great x-mas tree farms by Reed City.
Yup the Fed's really cut a ton of timber behind your old lease. It'll be something in a few years.

We used to lease the 160 just east of your lease some 15-20 years ago. It was owned by Law back then. It was mostly corn fields that had a wooded strip on the top of a big hill running N-S that split the property into 2 big fields. Up by the cemetary on Pine. Back in our TDM days some 20 years ago, I believe one year a couple of us killed 6 bucks over the first 2 days of the rifle season there. If we didn't see at least 50 deer and kill every one of the 3-4 bucks we saw on Nov. 15, something was wrong. I also believe that lease had "over 100 seen" Nov. 15th's. That one rifle blind on the top of the hill with a .270 or .300 should have been illegal. LOL The poor bucks crossing that field never had a chance. You looked down on them like a landing craft on D-Day. I used to practice out of it past 400 yards. My longest shot on a whitetail was from there. Just a hair over 450. Right in the front shoulder and down.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah he had land all over. his son told me when he passed he had 4000-5000 acres. mostly in mi, a little bit in illinois. he got it years back through back taxes. i leased land from him off of oak, cypress, lakola road and some others in reed city. we leased from him from 1994 until 2002. that place on oak was the best place i've ever hunted bar none. it was like being at the zoo on nov 15th. if you didn't see 30 deer you were asleep. we took some nice deer out of there. that was 200 acres but they split into 1-80 and 3-40's. i met the but who bought the 80 name was gary. is that your buddy? if so how is the hunting over there now, he told me to stop over whenever i was around but i never wanted to bother him. i sure do miss that place.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah he had land all over. his son told me when he passed he had 4000-5000 acres. mostly in mi, a little bit in illinois. he got it years back through back taxes. i leased land from him off of oak, cypress, lakola road and some others in reed city. we leased from him from 1994 until 2002. that place on oak was the best place i've ever hunted bar none. it was like being at the zoo on nov 15th. if you didn't see 30 deer you were asleep. we took some nice deer out of there. that was 200 acres but they split into 1-80 and 3-40's. i met the but who bought the 80 name was gary. is that your buddy? if so how is the hunting over there now, he told me to stop over whenever i was around but i never wanted to bother him. i sure do miss that place.

·
Registered
15,937 Posts
Yes. I'm friends with Gary's son. But I know Gary also. They already had land near to it. They put up a small cabin.
The private property across the road was clear cut a few years ago. It's a super jungle now.
They're doing QDM on that land now. You can imagine the improvement. Our whole area is prime for QDM and will show possibly the biggest turn around because, as you know, just about everything in the area is great for deer, other than very heavy pressure on yearling bucks and trigger management.

If anyone is interested in a QDM 20 acres, a neighbor of mine may be selling a 20 because he bought another nearby 20 and is now living there. But he's in no rush and it's not listed and he is only interested in selling to someone who wants to get with the program, since he still hunts nearby. It's got an old trailer on it, but the trailer should really be moved out of there since it's in maybe the best hunting spot on the 20 acres. The thing to do would be to totally remove the trailer and only use the 20 for hunting, not camping. It's too small for both IMHO.
email me if any interest in a nice QDM 20 acres...
[email protected]

·
Registered
13,316 Posts
I live on the White River between White Cloud and Hesperia........4 acres is all though............deer and turkeys in the back yard and trout in the front and a bear wandering thru every few years or so........:coolgleam

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.