Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was able to get out for a couple hours last night with my muzzleloader in Calhoun county. I was hoping to take a doe for an unfilled tag that I had, and right before dark - in they came. The neighbor had shot a few minutes before, and 5 doe came running from that direction. 4 of the 5 never stopped in their cross country sprint, but one smaller doe did - giving me a fairly long shot (144 paces). I got a clean shot (with passthrough) that appeared to have taken out at least one lung. Initially I saw no indication that I had hit her, however, I was really suprised that I wouldn't have. Upon looking for blood in that area, I spotted her piled up some 80-100 yards away. I tracked blood back to the area of the shot with an adequate trail, I guess she was just trying to catch up with the rest of the group. The shot was with an Omega/100 gr. 777/.50 Hornady STP 300 gr. I was very pleased with the results - except that she ran so far.

JL

·
Banned
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

Believe it or not, this is the second year in a row that I have shot a doe on New Year's Eve. Gotta love it when the g/f doesn't mind not going out on the biggest party night of the year.

JL

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Con-grads!

I shot one last night with my bow. Then dam near didn't get out of the woods. lol Took 3 tries to get up the hill out there, lol.

Then i parted ways till next season

·
Banned
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote

Then dam near didn't get out of the woods. [/quote]

Very true! It was difficult for me to get out of the field entrance - really muddy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts