Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All. I’ve lurked on the forum a few times, finally made an account. Long time fan of fishing, never get out as much as one would like though.

Going to attempt a deer hunt this year for the first time solo. I have gone a few times on private land with friends but never got anything. Looking to go public land this year, during firearm season, unsure how to go about it. living in Kent county. Any tips or location advice is welcomed.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Welcome! Biggest advice I can give - spend more time in the woods. The more time you spend in the woods the better you will get at learning the woods. After awhile you will be picking up on things you hadn't even thought about before and it will happen automatically. Small game hunting is actually great for this. You cover a lot more ground and see a lot more of the woods. I learned more about deer hunting while bird hunting and than I ever did while deer hunting...

·
Super Moderator
11,904 Posts
Howdy, CP-
Sureshot is right; post up on the Whitetail board for the best response.
Welcome to the family!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Practice.

A lot.

To me the #1 rule of hunting is don' t screw it up.

If you' re going to call yourself ethical as a hunter then you owe your target as quick a death as possible.

Know what you can hit. Do not be foolish and take Hail Mary shots. It rarely works out well if you do.

All other rules in my book are arbitrary.

Of course - we follow those rules as well. It' s not worth getting caught, fined and or jailed for a set of antlers, a nice hide or a pile of meat....

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Deer hunting is a skill best taught through osmosis. By that I mean time spent in the woods watching and observing. Other than that, Jeff Sturgis on YouTube has great content. The Baldwin Luther area is a good chunk of public land within driving distance of GR.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.