Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my 4 Winns open bow, and I'm now on the hunt for a new tri toon. I have done some research and also found some informative You Tube videos.. But I quickly get overwhelmed on mfg sites with endless choices and other options;, And because of no actual "boat show" I cant look at multiple brands in person/ I have an approx size and HP . So as I continue my journey maybe someone has some thoughts or advice of brand wise.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Just bought a Sun Tracker 22 XP3 last year, talk about a tough buying experience. My wife & I managed to make the Detroit boat show to look around before the pandemic, and had the place to ourselves as it was a very snowy day. Obviously you have to ask yourself "what do I want to do?" with it. For me it was fish & tubing, otherwise you may be of the wine & cheese crowd. I don't need all the fancy stuff as I'm a bit more practical. Originally I wanted to get an Angler Qwest (made in Michigan, pretty rugged for fishing use), but again with the shutdowns the inventory in May/June went fast and we found the Sun Tracker out of Linwood. If the Angler Qwest in Freeway Sports in Fenton hadn't of had a Suzuki instead of a Mercruiser outboard, I'd probably have it right now.

I made a list of things I was looking for, and put them in order of relative importance. Items to consider:
  • HP
  • Capacity
  • Trailer
  • Trailer brakes (Electric? Hydraulic?)
  • Trolling motor? (nice Minn Kota 80# thrust/24V can easily set you back $3500 with batteries/charger; I sold a quad in hopes of getting one!)
  • Sonar/GPS? (Basic one easily $300; I have a 7" Humminbird that set me back $550 but can link to a Minn Kota for auto-steer. Larger screens easily $900-$2100)
  • Tow bar? (looking over a Turbo XLbar as a possibility for mine; engine size needs to be considered for what you do)
  • Live well?
  • Changing curtain (many offer it as a pop-up accessory)
  • Bimini top, mooring/trailering covers
  • Aluminum covers underneath to protect the wood deck from spray
  • Rod holders?
With the Sun Catcher purchase, Bass Pro gave us a 15% off gift card which can help out with a lot of outfitting that inherently needs to be done.

Also, where are you planning on using it? Pontoons inherently are more "low wave" animals, if the front hits a good wave that water will quickly move whatever you have loose on the deck out the back. I have had my Tritoon out on Lake Huron and bigger water and it can handle it with the bigger diameter logs, but you still have to keep an eye out for waves getting much above 2-3' for sure.

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
Just bought a Sun Tracker 22 XP3 last year, talk about a tough buying experience. My wife & I managed to make the Detroit boat show to look around before the pandemic, and had the place to ourselves as it was a very snowy day. Obviously you have to ask yourself "what do I want to do?" with it. For me it was fish & tubing, otherwise you may be of the wine & cheese crowd. I don't need all the fancy stuff as I'm a bit more practical. Originally I wanted to get an Angler Qwest (made in Michigan, pretty rugged for fishing use), but again with the shutdowns the inventory in May/June went fast and we found the Sun Tracker out of Linwood. If the Angler Qwest in Freeway Sports in Fenton hadn't of had a Suzuki instead of a Mercruiser outboard, I'd probably have it right now.

I made a list of things I was looking for, and put them in order of relative importance. Items to consider:
  • HP
  • Capacity
  • Trailer
  • Trailer brakes (Electric? Hydraulic?)
  • Trolling motor? (nice Minn Kota 80# thrust/24V can easily set you back $3500 with batteries/charger; I sold a quad in hopes of getting one!)
  • Sonar/GPS? (Basic one easily $300; I have a 7" Humminbird that set me back $550 but can link to a Minn Kota for auto-steer. Larger screens easily $900-$2100)
  • Tow bar? (looking over a Turbo XLbar as a possibility for mine; engine size needs to be considered for what you do)
  • Live well?
  • Changing curtain (many offer it as a pop-up accessory)
  • Bimini top, mooring/trailering covers
  • Aluminum covers underneath to protect the wood deck from spray
  • Rod holders?
With the Sun Catcher purchase, Bass Pro gave us a 15% off gift card which can help out with a lot of outfitting that inherently needs to be done.

Also, where are you planning on using it? Pontoons inherently are more "low wave" animals, if the front hits a good wave that water will quickly move whatever you have loose on the deck out the back. I have had my Tritoon out on Lake Huron and bigger water and it can handle it with the bigger diameter logs, but you still have to keep an eye out for waves getting much above 2-3' for sure.
I would take a suzuki hands down over a Merc any day! Lol

Sent from my SM-A516V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a place up north on a large lake and it will be used for family/ grand kid outings. So will only be trailered to the launch in the spring/fall .And kept in a covered hoist. I'm kinda old school lol . So I dont need much. I'm thinking 23 ' with 150 hp. I want an engine my local marina supports, which is Merc. Why are Mercs a bad choice.? Or what are some good or better brand motors or boats.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
I have a place up north on a large lake and it will be used for family/ grand kid outings. So will only be trailered to the launch in the spring/fall .And kept in a covered hoist. I'm kinda old school lol . So I dont need much. I'm thinking 23 ' with 150 hp. I want an engine my local marina supports, which is Merc. Why are Mercs a bad choice.? Or what are some good or better brand motors or boats.
I had a 21-22' Bennington tritoon with a 150 HP Yamaha 4 stroke and that thing was very fast. Pulled 6 kids on 2 inflatables easily. I would not have wanted more horsepower on that boat.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Yup, 150 hp will work well for that. For me the Merc was the way to go for just the reason of local support for parts/service. However I've had a few Honda ATV's and if they build their outboard engines as well then they aren't a bad choice either.
It sounds like you have the right setup being on the water with the covered launch. It will save a lot of time & the expense of trailering as well as the hassle of covering/uncovering all the time and wear from sun exposure. Teach the grandkids to help out with cleanup after every outing and I'm thinking you'll have a great time.

Reactions: bobberbill

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I sold my 4 Winns open bow, and I'm now on the hunt for a new tri toon. I have done some research and also found some informative You Tube videos.. But I quickly get overwhelmed on mfg sites with endless choices and other options;, And because of no actual "boat show" I cant look at multiple brands in person/ I have an approx size and HP . So as I continue my journey maybe someone has some thoughts or advice of brand wise.
How's the toon hunt coming? Were you able to review any?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts