Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a avid hunter and I am interested in getting into trapping. I live in lenawee county and will prolly start out trapping coons and maybe muskrats. I will not do any trapping this year but will start next year. I was just wondering what i will need to get to get started. I have been doin a lot of reading online about it and the few people i know that trap tell me to go with conibears but i dont know what type/size works best for coons, muskrats, etc. any information anyone can give me would really be appreciated thank ya

·
Registered
54 Posts
use 160 con. for coon 110 con. ror rats.maybe some 1 1/2 coils for coon and mink on the water sets.its been a couple years since i trapped last.good luck,and just keep asking questions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im looken at getten some traps...im thinking about getting some 220 conibears and some 1 1/2 leg holds...(would coil spring or long spring be better?) but i was wondering how man traps to buy...i have thought about getting 3 of each (3-conibears, 3-leg holds) and starten off with that just to get used to the swing of things and till im more experianced....is this a good call or bad call...should i get more then 3?

any help is appreciated

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
If it were me trapping for coons and muskrats, I would pick up a dozen 110 conibears and 1/2 dozen 1 1/2 coilsprings just to get started. The coilsprings will work great for the coons and the occassional fox and the 110 conibears will fit the muskrat requirement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha i feel like im getting in over my head..... haha and i dont plan on starting till next year....im glad i found this site

1 - 8 of 8 Posts