Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start Trapping yotes this fall and would like to know where I can go to buy and get all the bait,traps and info as to what are some of the best baits and cover scents that I will need. I have been doing a lot of reading on dirt hole and flat sets and just need maybe someone to talk to about some of the in's and outs..Thanks for any replys.
I plan on trapping my 120ac ..

·
Registered
153 Posts
Get on Trapperman and read through the archives. I'll tell you one thing. Your first year success depends more on having good areas to trap than just knowledge and tons of traps. Don't waste time checking traps that aren't catching. Adjust the traps or move areas. Follow that and you'll learn real quick.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
If there is one truth in trapping I've learned over many years is that your rate of return will be in direct proportion to the amount of effort applied. Effort applied does not necessaily mean physical effort either, mental effort is equally as important as physical!!;);)

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys and info. I have called F&T fur in alpena and they are very helpful and I will be making a trip that way soon. I will be trapping in harrisville so alpena is a good place to start.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Short, I will be having a Trapper Education Class some time in March. It is an 8 hour class cover everything from the history of trapping in Michigan to how to handle and sell your furs. We cover a lot of basic sets but more important are the safety and ethic portions of the class. I will have a set date and location soon and will post it here. The class will be held in Montcalm county. Most likely at one of the local sportsman's clubs. It will be on a Saturday. Again, I will post more information when I have a location nd date locked in. This would be a valuable tool in your trapping bag of knowledge.

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
Thanks for the replys and info. I have called F&T fur in alpena and they are very helpful and I will be making a trip that way soon. I will be trapping in harrisville so alpena is a good place to start.
Just so's you know. It's not really in Alpena. It's closer to Hubbard Lake and Ossineke. And visiting there isn't really as good as getting their catalog or ordering online. They are great people, but very busy most of the time with filling orders from online and phone sales. Also, their website has current pricing and they have sales on overstocked items sometimes.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Valgang, I will be looking for your post, I did some trapping when I was younger with a friend but never for yotes. I know what I want to get just not sure of there names or what they are called. I'm going to be doing a lot of reading and you tubing to get ready for this fall and I'm sure I will be asking for advise from everyone and thanks for what you pass along in your post.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts