Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to know what is the best kind of trap for coyotes? foot holds or snares, i think i would rather use a foot hold. Is there much damage to their feet? If you catch something(neighbors dog) can it be set free with out damage? Any info you guys can give me would be great! Also info on skinning and drying.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Let me start out by saying that I'm glad you have decided to take up the wonderfull sport of trapping! It is alot of fun and work but is always rewarding. #1 3/4 to #3 work well for coyotes. Which one and brand depends on prefence and conditions. When set correctly, there is litttle, to no damage to the trapped animals foot. I have yet to catch a domestic but I did trap and release a bobcat with no damage. Others with more expierance than I could elaberate more on this subject. Usually it is not damage that draws concern but rather the process of releasing the sometimes, and rightfully so, angered untarget specimen. This too can be done safely by a couple of different methods (release sticks, barrel, plywood board, etc.) Skinning is a process that takes many hours of practice. I am getting better as time goes on but have a long way to go!. Once properly skinned and fleshed (removing extra fat and meat from the hide) the pelt is ready to be streatched and dried. Again, there are many methods that produce the same result. Keep asking questions, read books, and get to know someone that is already expieranced in this field. Good luck and take care.

Dan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts