Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all. I'm new to trapping this season. Looking forward to helping my turkey population by trapping a 174 acre farm in whittemore that was littered with dogs last season. They actually ruined most of my hunts. I'm seeking out the fundamental trapping basics that would be considered standard operation for any true trapper. Again I am completely new to trapping. I just figured out how to set a foot hold trap last night. I'm a fairly knowledgable outdoorsmen and this knowledge has led me to my first plan of attack. Setting 3 traps while keeping myself completely scent free. I intend on setting the traps in a corn stubble field, a bean stubble field, and one down by a creek. My field traps will be able to be checked by me glassing them from the road so i would not have to walk into the sets at all. Any good knowledge would be very helpful. Thanks very much and have a great holiday season!

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Welcome to trapping! It is a pursuit that has a way of pulling you in with both feet! lol

One great place to start is the Michigan DNR's Trapper's education manual. This can be viewed entirely online. Follow this link and you can select individual chapters to open.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_10880_12399-174841--,00.html

A trappers education class can be helpful as well if they have one close to you.

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
Get on YouTube there are a ton of tutorials. Ask around and see if a local trapper would be willing to let you tag along for a day or two....this site is a good place for that. Talk to the guys at f&t fur harvester and they can get you lined up with the basic equipment. They are very reasonable with their prices and very nice to talk to.

Good luck. It is a very challenging and addictive sport.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts