Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading many trad posts, both here and on another forum I frequent, I recently bought a used Damon Howatt Hi-Speed: 45#@28", 58". A longtime traditional hunter on the other forum helped me in the choice of recurve. He said 45# would be a good starting point since my compound weight was 60#. I have shot it one day (50shots) since I received it a little over a week ago. My question(s) is:

Are there any shops in west central MI that cater to, or specialize in traditional archery? I do not know very many people who shoot trad. and I would like someone to watch/check my form, give advice/coach, etc. Also, I will need to purchase an extra string, supplies. I have a bow stringer, glove, & arm guard. Also, I am currently reading Instinctive Shooting by Asbell.

After reading about bad habits in other 'new to trad' posts, I hope to find someone to help me get started.

Thanks for your help. :)

Scott

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Sand Lake traditional supply is a good place for trad gear, and the only place I have found that can give reasonable help. I would suggest Asbel's book, which you already have, and Byron Ferguseon's "Become the Arrow" I took alot from these two books.

Practice often and with purpose. It is easy to just get to "flinging arrows" and that leads to bad habits. I had to find a happy median between practice and burnout. I would shoot so much in a day that I could hardly move my arm in a way that did not cause severe shoulder pain.

I'll let you read the books to get an idea of having good form and steering away from bad habits. I think the best shooting suggestions come from the pros who write the books.

Other may be able to expand on the availability of local trad archery shops.

Brian

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Scott - if you are in Muskegon, I'm not sure what is there but there is a place kind of straight east of you - Traditional Outdoor Supply in Sand Lake. Tom Hackbardt owns it and he will be glad to help you get started.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies. I will check out Traditional Outdoor Supply. Thanks for the extra reading suggestion Grundy. While I am currently reading Asbell's book, I have "Become the Arrow" and it is next on my 'to read' list.;)

I will read more and practice hard. :D

Thanks again,

Scott

·
Registered
583 Posts
Scott,
I second Traditional Outdoor Supply in Sand Lake for assistance, Tom Hackbart is a top notch guy. Books are good but video's are what helps me the most, talking about something is one thing but seeing it done is a whole nother animal, at least for me. Dan Bertalan has a video called "Shooting Instinctively better then Ever" that is really good. Also a guy by the name of Rick Welch has an instructional shooting video that is also excellent! Books, Videos then some personal instruction; you can't go wrong! Good Shooting!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Scott,

Where you at? I'm North of Muskegon---Near Holton. I have about 120 recurves and some old archery stuff. If you go to the Muskegon Bowman they have a trad-league-and quite a few trad shooters.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
treestand6 said:
Scott,

Where you at? I'm North of Muskegon---Near Holton. I have about 120 recurves and some old archery stuff. If you go to the Muskegon Bowman they have a trad-league-and quite a few trad shooters.
The one trad guy I know personally is from the Muskegon Bowmen. I am a member there. I believe their traditional night is Sundays. I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder.

I am in Muskegon. I know where Holton is, for my compund stuff I go to Long Range in Twin Lakes.

Scott

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Scott, I believe you and I were trying to get a flyfishing trip going this past year. Give me a call anytime and we can talk traditional along with resurrecting that flyfishing thing.

Dan Frein

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One Eye said:
Scott, I believe you and I were trying to get a flyfishing trip going this past year. Give me a call anytime and we can talk traditional along with resurrecting that flyfishing thing.

Dan Frein
Thanks Dan. I will give you a call soon. :)

Scott

·
Registered
40 Posts
Scott
I am from whitehall and I am also switching back to traditional. Last time I bought a high poundage custom and got burned out it 2 years. This time I chose a 50# grizzly. I am a long way from a great shot but if you want to shoot sometime shoot me an email.

Dave Rice

Also Hello to Dan Frein
I read your article "The Cabin" Just the other day again, If you remember my dad was one of the friends that helped build that , Everything you wrote is exactly what I remember about it. Thanks again for bringing back those memories. Dave

·
Registered
231 Posts
Scott,

Sounds like you are off to a great start with a fine bow. 45# is an excellent way to go in my opinion. Yep, Traditional Outdoor Supply (phone 616.636.2697) is located inside Wilderness Dreams Sport Shop in Sand Lake and is an excellent resource. Call Tom Hackbardt to set up an appointment. I'd be more than happy to meet you there too if you want to fling a few arrows on their indoor range and talk shop.

:confused: I'd like to know about the Muskegon Bowman traditional shooting - any info would be appreciated. I've got cabin fever and I'm dying to fling some arrows at a 3d course anywhere near Rockford!

Jim

·
Registered
420 Posts
Welcome, Scott!

I have a question/favor for some of you in the Muskegon area familiar with the Muskegon Bowmen: does the club still have open (for non-club members)shooting at their 3-D course? If so, when one of you finds their '06 shoot schedule, could I beg a copy from you? I used to do some of their shoots, and I like the course. I have camped in my truck there on Friday night, shot the course on Saturday, then go to Marshall to camp do their shoot on Sunday. I would like to make a shoot or two at MB this summer.

Thanks, Arch

1 - 12 of 12 Posts