Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I have a few quick questions. I just purchased my first snowmobile and was wondering what Prevenative Maintanence I should do on the sled.

It is a 1984 Yamaha Phazer and seems to be perfect for just pulling my ice shanty out on the ice and doing a little riding with my friends.

I heard that the carbs need to be cleaned each fall to insure the sled is in working condition for the year? is this true??

Also the track squeeks a little....Is this normal?

And one more thing. The light is real dim, almost a orange in color...do you think thats a bad ground or some other problem.

Sorry about the questions but I would like to find out more about this sport and maintanence on the machines.

Sincerely,
Zman

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
yeah def. some good questions preventative maintenance can be very important. for summer storage what i like to do is disconnect the gas and run the motor till the carbs empty of gas and when its about to stall i spray foggin solution directly into the carbs, filling them and stalling the motor. then i pull the plugs and fill the cylinders also. replace the plugs and make sure the fuel tank is near empty as possible and add fuel stabilizer for what gas is left in there. i light coat of wd-40 across the engine compartment does wonders for the aluminum blocks keeping the pitting to a minimum. spring and fall grease them grease zerts the tie rod ends and the track suspension. squeeking is prolly your wheels on your track make sure they all look good and arent dry rotted then maybe some lithium grease to quiet those wheels if ya want. also check your gear box fluid each year look for signs of water in the gear box and replace fluid if neccesary. when pulling the dipstick you will notice a magnetic end usually with almost always metal shavings on the end this is normal wear and tear. if liquid cooled always check your antifreeze. always use a decent 2-stroke oil it cant hurt to splurge a little for a better 2 cycle oil. if applicable check your carbides on your skis each winter especially if crossing concrete parking lots ot get on the lake. nothing will make your sled turn worse than bad carbides. check for wear and tear of the track regularly this is just like a tire on a car missing or ripped of lugs can be a sign to replace the track before a catastrophic blowout happens. always carry a spare drive belt and extra pull rope. good to know how to tear apart your coil and replace the pull rope should it break. i can do my polaris in 10 mins and my ski-doo in 15. hope this helps if i missed something which i prolly did please let zman know!

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
honestly, ozgood described more maintenance than i have ever done. but he is right.:D

the squeeks could also be dry bearings on bogie wheels.

·
Registered
103 Posts
check your track tension
check your sliders(plastic that track runs along on bottom of runners)
every year I drain my chaincase and adjust my chain tension/ pull off cover and inspect for damage to gears and chain. chain should be finger tightned and then backed off 1/4 turn or to closest pin hole if yours has one.
check all bogie wheels prop back end off groung with hands turn every one, sometimes the berings go bad. also make sure there is no woble it the wheels
carry spare plugs also
every year check every nut and bolt on the machine exp. the suspension you would be amazed at how many times I have found things that work themselves loose!

I used to have a similar sled it was I believe 86 exciter I sold it 4 years ago with 9,867miles on the original motor as you can see preventive maintence is the key. sold a 96 zrt 600 last year with over 8,500 miles on her see a pattern:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts