Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow fly fisherman,

I am new to fly fishing with one season under my belt. Fortunately, I was able to spend some quality time trout fishing in both Michigan and Montana last year. I recently purchased a new 5wt rod and would love to put some wear on it in the years to come. I am mainly interested in pursuing trout around the Grayling area but could easily be persuaded into fishing for panfish and other species throughout the state. I currently live in the Ann Arbor area and plan on starting weekend trips up to the Au Sable in May, 2019. If anyone is interested in linking up on the river, sharing float trips/guides, or just has general advice for a new fly fisherman, please reach out to me.

I look forward to hearing from you and as always, tight lines!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Welcome to the addiction. We don't bite.... much.

If you're in Ann Arbor, have you made it over to Shultz Outfitters in Ypsie?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Welcome to a great site Slammer10. I am not from your area but if I remember correctly there is at least one fly fishing club in that area, check with Shultz Outfitters and they should be able to point you in the right direction. A club is a great way to meet fellow fly fishers and develop both your abilities and friendships.

Reactions: slammer10

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
My advice is to not try to learn it all at once. Focus on one or two methods, like dry flies and streamers, and get them down. The most important thing in fly fishing is the same thing in all fishing: presentation. If your lure isn't within the strike zone of the fish you're just exercising your shoulder, and the *wrong* lure in the right place will always be more effective than the *right* lure in a tree. With flies that means accuracy in casting and line management. Nice thing about fly fishing is that you always see what the line is doing and can work on both things on every cast. Also, water is water and the Huron is a great place to learn line control while catching bass. Just remember to sanitize your waders and boots before switching rivers so you don't spread invasive species

Check out the fishing reports on the Old Au Sable and Gate's sites during the season. They normally get updated on Thursdays. I'm usually pretty dialed in to what is happening around Grayling too and you can shoot me a PM for updates on other days. I try to get up there most weekends starting in April though this coming year it already looks like I'll have a conflict for a chunk of May.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Bluegill and crappie on an inland lake or good size river are a lot of fun in the spring.
Good for practice with the rod without worrying about getting caught in a tree. I usually use a rubber spider.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the addiction. We don't bite.... much.

If you're in Ann Arbor, have you made it over to Shultz Outfitters in Ypsie?
I've been over to Shultz outfitters a few times. What an awesome spot! I will for sure be stopping by there more often this winter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My advice is to not try to learn it all at once. Focus on one or two methods, like dry flies and streamers, and get them down. The most important thing in fly fishing is the same thing in all fishing: presentation. If your lure isn't within the strike zone of the fish you're just exercising your shoulder, and the *wrong* lure in the right place will always be more effective than the *right* lure in a tree. With flies that means accuracy in casting and line management. Nice thing about fly fishing is that you always see what the line is doing and can work on both things on every cast. Also, water is water and the Huron is a great place to learn line control while catching bass. Just remember to sanitize your waders and boots before switching rivers so you don't spread invasive species

Check out the fishing reports on the Old Au Sable and Gate's sites during the season. They normally get updated on Thursdays. I'm usually pretty dialed in to what is happening around Grayling too and you can shoot me a PM for updates on other days. I try to get up there most weekends starting in April though this coming year it already looks like I'll have a conflict for a chunk of May.
Kzoofisher, awesome advice. I plan to do some reading/classes this winter to learn more about what you are mentioning. Thanks for the comment and I look forward to reaching out to you in the future.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bluegill and crappie on an inland lake or good size river are a lot of fun in the spring.
Good for practice with the rod without worrying about getting caught in a tree. I usually use a rubber spider.
This sounds like just what I need before hitting the trout rivers this summer. Any lakes in the greater Ann Arbor area that you know of? Thanks for the reply!

·
Premium Member
17,725 Posts
I love catching gills on their beds in the afternoons and fishing browns in the evening durring the brown drake hatch early June in Grayling

1 - 11 of 11 Posts