Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the east side(Midland) of the state and from what I've read already on here I know how secretive how people are about hunting spots and information. I was looking at the Nayanquing point and Crow island areas. I was just wondering how the numbers usually are at these places and how easy it is to access crows island. Also for the Nayanquing point how easy is was to access these zones and if you needed a boat or canoe to get into them. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ~NU_sportsman

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Best advice I can give you is go back and do a search of this site using those two areas. You'll get lots of info. I don't hunt Crow Island, but many here do. From what I hear, it's not an easy place to hunt, and small boats are a definite requirement. I do hunt Nayanquing, and although a canoe or small boat is very helpful, there are crop fields there that do not require a boat. The best ones will though. And you can also hunt along the bayshore with a small boat/canoe. In fact I hunt all along the bay shore with various rigs. Depending on where you are in Midland area, Shiawassee River isn't all that far to drive for you (relatively speaking) so you may wanna check it out. I hunt there often too. If you want specifics on a particular area, PM me for more.

jd

·
Premium Member
7,087 Posts
I lived in Midland (Mudville) for about 8 years and I was born in Saginaw. I can tell you that the duck hunting in the area is second to none. It was the only real hang-up I had about moving to buy my business in southern Michigan. The hunting was that good.
You have every type of hunting within 30 minutes. Field hunting for ducks and geese within 10 minutes. State land creeks and beaver ponds to the north and west within 20-30 minutes. Smallish lakes (Sanford and Wixom) within 20 minutes and of course Saginaw Bay's marshes and big water to the east. That doesn't even consider the managed areas and Crow Island. YOU'RE SURROUNDED, YOU LUCKY DOG!!!
This is what I would do. Get a Gazzetteer and look for the state lands. Find creeks and go walk some of them. You will find beaver ponds on some and they are great areas to hunt. Cruise the bay with a safe boat and you will find areas. Check out the lakes and the managed areas and you will find spots. Knock on doors and you will get access to some of the best field hunting in the United States at times. You moved into the best area in Michigan to be a duck and goose hunter. No joke. Good luck, even though with any effort at all you will not need "luck".:evilsmile

1 - 5 of 5 Posts