Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about trying steelheading but have a few questions. Can you buy spawn from bait shops? Should I use spoons and plugs. I don't have a boat and will be on foot and don't want to fish with the crowd at the dams and bridges. If anyone has info on such areas around Allegan It would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
It is illegal to sell any spawn other than salmon spawn. So yes, you can buy spawn tied in bags for fishing. Salmon spawn will work but some say steelhead spawn and brown spawn is best.

Spoons and spinners for river fishing will work. IMO live bait and flies will out fish spoons and spinners but some who fish that way more than I will dispute that.

As far as Allegan, some of our SW members will have to give you that info.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Jigs and floats are very popular at the A-dam. If you want to avoid the crowds I wouldn't suggest fishing there. Grab a map and do some exploring, there is some awesome water downriver.

Good luck,

Mitch

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been lookig at my map and do see alot of 2-tracks. I figure those are places I can park my truck and walk the bank. I my try to get out this week, with this good weather I'm sure the river will be pretty crowded

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
BCJ, All good advice indeed but if you're new to this madness, don't forget the most important thing, patience ! Do exactly what you've been told and don't get discouraged if it takes a while. It'll all be worth it in the end!!

Good luck...Sid

·
Banned
10,217 Posts
Don't forget your ORV permit if you go on some of the twotracks!
Talked to a couple of buddies who were there today and they said, that of all the boats they spoke with, no one had any steel, 1 guy had a nice walleye. I know they are in the system, probably downstream untill the water levels rise!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts