Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get away from harnesses and worms for a little bit and broaden my options on the bay. what are some good spoon colors for the bay? i was looking at the proeye spoons from JansNetcraft and save a few $. is anyone out there using the Proeye and what would be a few colors to start with?

I know Franks has a good selection of J.Deez and have herd good things. I did pick up a doz the other day 2.99 isn't a bad price for a completed spoon and they look the be decent quality.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
128 Posts
By the time you buy split rings, hooks, blanks, spend time assembling and pay shipping are you going to do it cheaper than $2.99? Probably not, plus the stores have much better color options. Unless you want a winter hobby of assembling/painting etc.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
If walleye like a spinner blade color they'll like it on a spoon. :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By the time you buy split rings, hooks, blanks, spend time assembling and pay shipping are you going to do it cheaper than $2.99? Probably not, plus the stores have much better color options. Unless you want a winter hobby of assembling/painting etc.

Very True jlucky!

The Pro Eye spoons from Jan's are $7.44 per pack of 5 at a cost for 1.48 each, add a good quality hook and split ring for .50-.75 cents and your still below $2.50 each. They come painted or you can purchase the blanks. I didn't think it was a bad deal since new spoons sell for 2.99-5.99 $. the saving wouldn't be worth it if you were only to buy one or two but if you were to stock up on your spoons the savings could be worth it especially if you could get a small group of people to split it up and share the shipping.
Just a thought!

I was more curious if anyone has used the Pro Eyes and if they are worth the savings or if they are painted poorly and if they do produce or not? understanding that most any spoon will produce a fish from time to time but will it with consistency.

·
Premium Member
29,967 Posts
If walleye like a spinner blade color they'll like it on a spoon. :)
:yeahthat: And remember that most spoons are painted to catch the fishermans eyes first;). I've got some that the paint are chewed half off that work as good as a new one. I think the backside makes a difference also, I really like the antifreeze backs. Anything in purples,pinks,chartruese or combinations of those. Firetiger also, any perch patterns.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Alright im in the same boat as the OP. Been trolling harnesses alot and wanna switch it up. My boat came with 150 or so tots in every color so Im thinking I'd like to put a few in the cooler next trip on harnesses then start practicing a spoon/tot setup if possible. So say I want to run 4 rods with spoons on one side without any leadcore what would be a good start. I'm thinking a dozen Jdeez in good colors, some 1-1.5oz in line weights and some jets. I mostly fish the slot so,I'm thinking #20s and 30s. How far back do I run them on each and speeds should be around the same for spoons as tots?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I would use Walker Mini discs (45mm) for the spoons. Use a 6' to 7' leader between the diver and your spoon. Good quality swivels on both ends of leader. 10-12# mono is fine for leader, nothing fancy needed. There is a dive chart on the package for the walker mini discs. Mixing tots with spoons may work, but spoons run best at 2.6 to 3.5 gps, at 2.6, you will be at the higher range of tot speed. It can work, but not optimal.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I would use Walker Mini discs (45mm) for the spoons. Use a 6' to 7' leader between the diver and your spoon. Good quality swivels on both ends of leader. 10-12# mono is fine for leader, nothing fancy needed. There is a dive chart on the package for the walker mini discs. Mixing tots with spoons may work, but spoons run best at 2.6 to 3.5 gps, at 2.6, you will be at the higher range of tot speed. It can work, but not optimal.
Thanks for the info, might just have to do one setup at a time. I just don't have the cash to go all out setting up for spoons especially when I have dozens of harnesses and so many tots.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I run 3 ways with tots, reef runner jrs and deep thunder stick jrs. I run 1.4 and as high as 2.1. catch a bunch on both and have caught a bunch of doubles. It works great. no discs or lead for me last year when the fish were deep I ran the large reef runners to get down to 25' and had a spoon trailing. double the presentations per rod.

·
Registered
128 Posts

Exactly how I roll! There is a secret about which color of discs to get but.....I forgot!

·
Premium Member
29,967 Posts
Exactly how I roll! There is a secret about which color of discs to get but.....I forgot!
Forgot eeehhhh:16suspect:lol: If you remember, pm me:D. I've run them a few times, but think I need to run them on zero and behind boards. I ran them like big dipsy's with no boards:SHOCKED:.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info guys!! I picked up a mixed bag of J.Deez, stingers, Warriors, and a few others I will be running them on #2 tadpoles with a 5-6' leader. I have already printed off the dive charts and laminated them for a good reference on the boat. Seams most of the divers are close just depends on what you like.

Maybe when I get a little more confident I'll try running h-jerks and a spoon above it but for now that sounds like a recipe for disaster and some tangled lines. But it sounds like an effective rig!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I run 3 ways with tots, reef runner jrs and deep thunder stick jrs. I run 1.4 and as high as 2.1. catch a bunch on both and have caught a bunch of doubles. It works great. no discs or lead for me last year when the fish were deep I ran the large reef runners to get down to 25' and had a spoon trailing. double the presentations per rod.
I have a good selection of deep thunder stick Jr's for summer salmon on the PM. What are some good colors for walleye on the bay. Most effective on the pm for salmon are rainbow, fire tiger, purple well just about everything bright and with an aggressive action. Just like flipping jugs and cranks for bass on the lily's and weed beds but a much bigger fish.. a blast on a 7' uglystick.. sorry got off subject!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Would 3-3/4" and 4" silver streaks and the sort be too big for eyes on the bay.. ralphie suggested they may catch the larger fish my boat came loaded with salmon plugs and large spoons and a couple trays of the 3-3/4-4". I noticed the jdeez are all under 3"

·
Registered
438 Posts
They will catch some fish, but the smaller ones by far out produce them for walleye. I do run Silver Streak Mini Streaks on slide divers near the bottom, looking for larger fish. Streak Jr's go on the board rods.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts