Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed on the DNR website that you can hunt Coyotes starting July 15th during the day. I'm looking to get into the sport but I have a few questions. First of all I live in mid Michigan is there a good population of yotes around Marion Springs or the Millington Hills? I don't have any private property so my hunting needs to be done on Public land. Also what calls do you use for summer yotes? Any information would be helpful. It's summer and I'm looking forward to getting out in the woods. Thanks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
There are 'yotes all over the state. Wounded prey animal sounds pretty much work year round. Also, in the summer, try coyote pup distress. The wee ones are just now starting to venture away from the den.
Don't be afraid to use oddball call sounds either. Sometimes (especially on public land) coyotes will get call wise and wont respond. Try using something no one else has used such as a distressed piglet, even if their isn't a hog farm for miles. If a coyote hasn't heard it before doesn't mean he wont respond out of curiosity.
Try not to hunt the same area day after day, or use the same calls hunt after hunt. They learn quick.
Always keep a keen eye on wind direction, they can smell WAY better than deer can. Don't waste time with scent control, it only works on dumb animals like deer. Your best scent prevention is being downwind at all times, even enroute to your hunting area. Good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are 'yotes all over the state. Wounded prey animal sounds pretty much work year round. Also, in the summer, try coyote pup distress. The wee ones are just now starting to venture away from the den.
Don't be afraid to use oddball call sounds either. Sometimes (especially on public land) coyotes will get call wise and wont respond. Try using something no one else has used such as a distressed piglet, even if their isn't a hog farm for miles. If a coyote hasn't heard it before doesn't mean he wont respond out of curiosity.
Try not to hunt the same area day after day, or use the same calls hunt after hunt. They learn quick.
Always keep a keen eye on wind direction, they can smell WAY better than deer can. Don't waste time with scent control, it only works on dumb animals like deer. Your best scent prevention is being downwind at all times, even enroute to your hunting area. Good luck
Thanks for the information sir. I'm looking forward to doing some hunting. Tired of sitting in the house.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts