Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, I’m brand new to pier fishing, never done it before. I’m partially set. Picked up a shakespeare 8’6 combo and got 20 lb. braid on it, planning on picking a leader yet. Also need to grab a net. Planning on casting spoons at the pier in Oscoda, still need to figure out when.

All that aside the thing with this thread is this: Is night time the right time? I keep seeing it brought up in threads on here and mentioned elsewhere that people are mostly fishing at night. I’d originally planned on going during the day. I’d probably need more lights/equipment for night I’m assuming as well.

·
Registered
15,952 Posts
4am - 6am used to be a really good time slot. The DNR hasn't planted Kings in the Ausable in quite a few years. Some still return to spawn, or wander from being planted/spawned elsewhere. There might be some Cohos around the pier. Or some Walleyes. Or Steelhead. Or Atlantics. If the water is chilly (offshore wind pushes the warm surface water out), you stand a decent chance of hooking something silver.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The coho that are around will bite all day, though mornings are better. Most coho i catch are early morning to noonish. After that dead zone for coho. I feel like coho act a lot more like steelhead in terms of feeding more in the day time vs night.
Honestly it sounds like my primary target should be coho then! Granted, if I even SEE anything I’ll be happy.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Biting kings are a dark or very low light thing only out of preferred temp (50-58). Cohos, more similar to steelhead in that they will actively bite up to about 64-65. Smaller spoon surface area is generally preferred for coho and steel, 1/2 oz ko versus 3/4 ko; 2/3 or 2/5 cleo versus 3/4 cleo; I like the 5/8 kroc and still 3/4 kastmaster.

Not sure if they still walk the plank on the northside…. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,638 Posts
Probably not until Late September/Early October
Other side of the state, but last year I did pretty good on them casting thru the night using glow spoons in late September. Maybe I should cast hour before dark till 11pm then get some sleep and hit pier few hours before sunup till 10am or so. Have seen several pics of 10-12lb coho this year outta lake michigan that would be nice

·
Registered
15,952 Posts
Other side of the state, but last year I did pretty good on them casting thru the night using glow spoons in late September. Maybe I should cast hour before dark till 11pm then get some sleep and hit pier few hours before sunup till 10am or so. Have seen several pics of 10-12lb coho this year outta lake michigan that would be nice
Go to where those fish were planted, and get after it. Seriously. It is pretty easy to figure out, for the most part. Timing matters.

·
Registered
9,638 Posts
Timing is definitely the problem. Some years I'm right on them in the surf. Other years the first push was already in the rivers. I never had luck though the night on the east side, always have been a better early bite for me. Tomorrow may not be a bad day to try out if you get a chance @6667superport.
Stuck at work, way to busy, no let up in sight. Will be up this weekend, wind is looking good. Most nights I was catching the coho I was the only person out there fishing, which is nice, till its time to net a fish. Looking forward to casting an XR50 lipless crank during daylight hours, think the vibration will really help with catching more fish. Doesnt hurt it looks like a small alewife either.
Fish hook Bait Fishing bait Fishing lure Surface lure

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
4am - 6am used to be a really good time slot. The DNR hasn't planted Kings in the Ausable in quite a few years. Some still return to spawn, or wander from being planted/spawned elsewhere. There might be some Cohos around the pier. Or some Walleyes. Or Steelhead. Or Atlantics. If the water is chilly (offshore wind pushes the warm surface water out), you stand a decent chance of hooking something silver.
What would be the best all around time of day/when in the coming months to catch any salmon/trout? I don’t mind it not bein a king, I just want to increase my chances and catch something I haven’t before, that’d be the salmonids.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts