Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help:
This past weekend I picked up a CVA Buckhorn, I know its nothing fancy but I've wanted to get into black powder for awhile and this sounded like a cheap way to get started. Its a .50 and will handle a 150 grain charge. No scope on it. Just looking for any pointers and tips. Id like to use the pellet charges... any suggestions on which ones to use, since this isnt the easiest model to clean are some better in regards for that. And also curious about what grain bullet to use, will be used for deer. Any other suggestions feel free to share. I am a sponge looking for info to soak up. :lol:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Try the 777 pellets..burns pretty clean...Also go with only 100 grains of powder unless your shooting over 200 yards..I have been useing some cheap sabot's but people seem to like the power belts..And the main thing is CLEAN IT , CLEAN IT, CLEAN IT....

·
Registered
538 Posts
Don't use Powerbelts. Get Barnes or Hornady bullets. Try Blackhorn 209 instead of pellets.

I would also search through some of Encore's posts on here. He is very knowledgeable in the muzzleloading field.

Muzzleloading will make you :dizzy::coco:

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
Use pellets if you so desire. Less muss and fuss unless you are into that kind of thing. Don't let anyone, and I mean anyone, talk you into using this bullet or that bullet or this load or that load. The only thing that will tell you for sure is YOUR GUN. They don't all shoot the same, never did and never will. You MUST find out which bullet and load is the most ACCURATE in your weapon. Try some different bullets and loads. As a suggestion, go with 100 gr. max, 150 gr. will most likely deter your accuracy and make your shoulder sore.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I would recommend using sulfur-free powder, much easier cleaning.
As for powder charges I use 150gr (3x50) sulfur free pellets and a 250gr shockwave. The BDC in my scope calls for that load so that's what I use. The recoil isn't pleasant but it's not that bad. I wouldn't take my slug gun to the range for a days worth of shooting so I look at my M/L in the same way.
I shoot off a bench when at the range so I use a bench rest bi-pod which also helps with cleaning. I clean after every three shot string with T/C's number 13 bore cleaner.

·
Registered
146 Posts
with that gun I would shoot loose 777 starting at 80 grns with a 250-300grn bullet then I would work my loads up to 85,90,95grns seeing if the gun is shooting accurate at the higher powder loads. don't shoot 150grns (3 pellets) in that gun it will be all over the target.I would stick with 2-50gr pellets or 85-90grs loose with a Powerbelt Platinium 270grn and that gun should shoot good for you!!

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
And don't bring your loaded rifle into a warm house from the cold outside all the time unless you want to load in a new powder charge regularly. The condensation will render your powder (pellets or otherwise) useless. Dry powder is one of the secrets to BP shooting happiness.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
with that gun I would shoot loose 777 starting at 80 grns with a 250-300grn bullet then I would work my loads up to 85,90,95grns seeing if the gun is shooting accurate at the higher powder loads. don't shoot 150grns (3 pellets) in that gun it will be all over the target.I would stick with 2-50gr pellets or 85-90grs loose with a Powerbelt Platinium 270grn and that gun should shoot good for you!!
I would have to disagree wi hyou no that one...Whe nI shot 100 grains with my cva I couldn't get a groupto save my life...but wih 150 grains I am..two heart shots at 100 and 15 yard with 250 grain shockwaves tells a diffrent story...suck it up and take the recoil....you will be happy wit the results

1 - 10 of 10 Posts