Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all you sportspersons

Please forgive this inane question. What can I say, I'm moving from New England (Cape Cod).

I'm looking favorably towards buying a house that's near Gourdneck State Game Area south of Kalamazoo. I like to walk in the woods, with my black lab mix, who will be (or wants to be) off leash. Will this be SAFE, generally?

I have an orange coat for the dog, but it's neoprene and she doesn't like to wear it unless it's really cold. Obviously, I could get an orange vest for myself. Are there maybe PARTICULAR times of year to avoid?

P.S. I've mostly been fishing for Stripers and Bluefish on the Atlantic, but I'm looking forward to whatever is here in Michigan (grew up in Wisconsin).

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I don't understand the question exactly.....are you afraid of walking in the woods and perhaps getting shot or gang-raped or getting attacked by cougars or wolves or something?!? :sad: :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha, ha, ha. Yeah, I just knew I'd leave something out. Hopefully the references to ORANGE were a tipoff. I meant, that I'm concerned about BULLETS, especially when they are moving fast and towards me.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Ninja said:
I don't understand the question exactly.....are you afraid of walking in the woods and perhaps getting shot or gang-raped or getting attacked by cougars or wolves or something?!? :sad: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Welcome to the site!
I live in the area and I'm in those woods all of the time. I'm starting to know them pretty well. If you have a dog, I'd try to avoid Oct 1 to Dec 30th, there's quite a few deer hunters in there at that time. It's a very large area with lots of trails for walking and biking. You might want to get a map of the area due to there being a lot of houses surrounding it, you don't want to trespass on someones land un-knowingly. Check out this linkhttp://www.portagemi.gov/government/gis_mapping.asp and got to the GIS, it will give you a abilities to see many different maps of the Portage area. There's also quite a few houses for sale in the area, Pfizer layoffs are selling houses for very affordable prices. And by the way, I've only been mauled by one cougar in those woods!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Watch out on state land during hunting season but that is the same everywhere I would think. Besides that your good to go. Just be sure that your dog doesn't run after some rabbit and get lost. Going into areas that your not familiar with can be tough.
Oh yea, welcome to Mi. It's a great place to live.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'm in the SGA with my dog year round with the exception of November 15-30 which is our firearm deer season. If you aren't hunting with your dog the bow hunters would appreciate if you kept to the main trails between Oct. 1-30. I'm not sure you need the orange vest but an orange collar would be helpful.

I've seen a few coyotes in the area but nothing that should bother a lab.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Bowslayer said:
And by the way, I've only been mauled by one cougar in those woods!
Did she buy you dinner first.:lol: :lol:

But seriously you might want to ask this question in the hunting dog forum,there are quite a few people from the west side of the state that post there.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
its perfectly safe in the woods. during hunting season you should wear your orange and be respectful of hunters. that is to say if you see a hunters vehicle in the area avoid it to keep from spooking his game. stay on well marked paths and trails and avoid those areas that may be hunted.
that being said hunters are pretty aware of the difference between a person wearing orange and an animal. concider the numbers of hunters out there and you'll see very few accidents happen.and most of those only involve ourselves, not others.
as to animals in the woods? theres precious little in michigan to worry about. bears are mostly well north of you and you will probably never even see one. massasauga rattle snakes , or water moccasons as their nake implies are found around wet areas and will probably be gone long before you get close enough to see them. and theres not many around anyway.
other then that you only have to worry about the squirrels, these evil little bucked tooth hoard of the woods are our arch enemy and i'm personaly doing every thing i and my dog can to erradicate them for your safety.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Don't forget your dog should be on a leash from April 15th- July 15 when you are on State land...note there are certain exceptions but this is a good rule of thumb for the majority of State land.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
yes i would not take the dog out during hunting season april23- end of may is turkey and these guys are in camo might upset one if your dog tore up theire decoys and than from oct 1st to the end of december

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
NEMichsportsman said:
Don't forget your dog should be on a leash from April 15th- July 15 when you are on State land...note there are certain exceptions but this is a good rule of thumb for the majority of State land.
Yep, thats when our little critters need protection from dogs runnin off leash in game areas. (State Law)
Its ok to train off leash in non game areas like your mowed lawn....

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
SgtSabre said:
That area is just crawling with mountain lions. Be careful.
Sarge,
Go sit over there in yon corner for a spell............:lol:

Now.........Let's get this thread back on track.

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
I lived 1/4 mile from that SGA and you have no more to worry about there then in any other woods. Even during bow season, especially if you go in the middle of the afternoon.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The only time I would avoid is nov. 15-30.

During other huning seasons there are fewer hunters, but it is courteous to try to avoid them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
"massasauga rattle snakes , or water moccasons as their nake implies are found around wet areas and will probably be gone long before you get close enough to see them"

Huh? There are no Water Moccassins in Michigan.

The woods are pretty safe, hunters are the least of your worries. November 15th through the 30th would have the most hunters in the woods. Other times, bowhunters would appreciate you keeping your dog under control. There is also a tie (check the regs, I think June and July) when you have to keep your dog on a leash, to protect young gamebirds.

Other than that, pay attention to signs of Meth labs or marijuan fields. I have bumped into pot fields twice, no trouble though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts