Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[This is a re-post from Hunting General, per suggestion there]

Please forgive this inane newbie question. What can I say, I'm moving from New England (Cape Cod).

I'm looking favorably towards buying a house that's near Gourdneck State Game Area south of Kalamazoo. I like to walk in the woods, with my black lab mix, who will be (or very much wants to be) off leash. This dog will stick more or less nearby but isn't trained, in the hunting sense. Will this be SAFE, generally?

To clarify, I'm referring mostly to issues of accidental shooting of either of us. But I'd also be interested in fanciful or lurid stories of maulings etc. :lol:

I have an orange coat for the dog, but it's neoprene and she doesn't like to wear it unless it's really cold. Obviously, I could get an orange vest for myself. Are there maybe PARTICULAR times of year to avoid?

P.S. I've mostly been fishing for Stripers and Bluefish on the Atlantic, but I'm looking forward to whatever is here in Michigan (grew up in Wisconsin).

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Welcome to the site and to Michigan.

Like I said in the other thread just be conscious of our State law prohibiting running dogs off leash from April 15 to July 15. There are certain exceptions to that rule, but it applies at the specific location you inquired about.
That will be your biggest concern.

Beyond that Michigan is no different than any other state as far as safety, or other outdoor concerns. Be aware of your surroundings and what seasons might be in place, I have never ever considered the fact that my dog might be shot by some trigger happy slob while we are hunting or training.

I try to avoid contact with other hunters as much as possible mainly because I am in search of game or scouting, not looking to make new friends. If I pull in someplace and see another vehicle I am on my way elsewhere 9 times out of 10.

The only time I wouldn't have my dog out is during firearms Deer Season and I am out deer hunting at that time anyhow.

Good luck post, some pics of your dog (we don't allow you to post very many times without doing so;)), and feel free to visit the upland forum regularily.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
should be ok, lot of good area around to walk dog in the woods. pm me and I can tell you of some area to go play other than gourdneck to. welcome to the site and the kzoo. what kind of dog do you have? a Silver Point Setta?:D

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
choice49 said:
[This is a re-post from Hunting General, per suggestion there]

Please forgive this inane newbie question. What can I say, I'm moving from New England (Cape Cod).

I'm looking favorably towards buying a house that's near Gourdneck State Game Area south of Kalamazoo. I like to walk in the woods, with my black lab mix, who will be (or very much wants to be) off leash. This dog will stick more or less nearby but isn't trained, in the hunting sense. Will this be SAFE, generally?

To clarify, I'm referring mostly to issues of accidental shooting of either of us. But I'd also be interested in fanciful or lurid stories of maulings etc. :lol:

I have an orange coat for the dog, but it's neoprene and she doesn't like to wear it unless it's really cold. Obviously, I could get an orange vest for myself. Are there maybe PARTICULAR times of year to avoid?

P.S. I've mostly been fishing for Stripers and Bluefish on the Atlantic, but I'm looking forward to whatever is here in Michigan (grew up in Wisconsin).
First of all welcome. I hope everyone in the Kzoo arear makes you feel welcome also. You will love the fishing on that side of the state. Besides the quiet time (April 16 through July 14), it just isn't wise to run you dog or meander in the woods during the firearms deer season. Growing up in Wisconson you would probably be aware of that.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Michigan is lot like Wisconsin, just a little further east. Oh and we have a better football team (not the lions!) and we ain't into cheese as much.

Just heed the advice above and you will love the area.

Oh one other thing, a post about dogs without photos is worthless!:evil:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts