Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my first year deer hunting and i have a few questions. when i shoot a deer is field dressing the first step or since i am going to have it processed can i just take it to have it processed? and the second question is where in kalamazoo is the best place for public hunting? thank you for your help...

jay

·
Registered
544 Posts
You deffinetly field dress it before the proccesor. As far as the hunting land I cant help ya Good luck

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
this is my first year deer hunting and i have a few questions. when i shoot a deer is field dressing the first step or since i am going to have it processed can i just take it to have it processed? and the second question is where in kalamazoo is the best place for public hunting? thank you for your help...

jay
Welcome to our world, what took you so long? :lol:

I've introduced a handful of newbs to hunting that last couple years and they all loved it. The first question they always ask is, "when I shoot a deer, do I...?" I tell them all the same thing. Shooting a deer is not as easy as on TV, and its only part of the actual hunt. If you actually do shoot a deer your very first year of hunting, consider yourself VERY lucky! The odds are heavily stacked against new hunters due to lack of experience.

My advice, read as much as yopu possibly can about deer and deer hunting. There is alot of good info out there and there is also alot on this forum. Stay safe and good luck!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

jay
:coolgleam Welcome to hunting, Jay. Field dressing is the second thing you do. The first is to properly mark your kill tag and attach it in the appropriate manner to your game. If you begin field dressing your deer before legally tagging it, you can be fined. It's just a "technicality", but the law says you must "immediately" tag your kill. Just a "heads up" for ya'. Good luck this year and BE SAFE! :fish:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Check out the Allegan State game area.... all public hunting land. Or... if you want a bigger area go to the Manistee national forest just north of that. There's also public access on some private land though the Hunting access program. (H.A.P.) just google it.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Welcome and good luck.

Tag, dress, process.

Remember, safety first, period, always. Know your shot and know what is behind it, especially on public land.

Good luck out there and remember, if you do get a deer this year, it is a requirement that you post a picture or you will be hounded like a dog!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of hunting. I'll tell you the same thing I told my buddy when he got started - If you like it, it will be worse than a crack habit and much more expensive.

As mentioned above - definitely field dress them before the processor.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Welcome to the sport!

And to answer your question, the very first thing you're probably gonna do, at least the first time anyways, is hoot and hollar. Then the tagging, and dressing, and processing.......:lol:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Welcome to the sport. Processing will run you anywhere from $60 - $80 and more if you want some specialties like jerkey or hunter sticks.
As far as a place to hunt, Fort Custer is between Battle Creek and Kalamazoo (closer to Battle Creek) and there is a lot of hunting areas. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks to everyone for your help and i am very excited to be part of the hunting family. i will definately post any and all pics of my kill ( if any hahaha ). thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
coming from someone who hunts and works for a processor. . one thing as well is if you do get a deer, and you dont exactly know how to field dress a deer, call someone who does. let them show you how or at least guide you along as you do it yourself. its a lot less messy as "winging it" and the processor will be a lot happier with you if tis done as clean as possible!

theres absolutely nothing wrong with having someone help you do it as well. . i had to watch it be done 3-4 times before I got it, and then i was still learning my own tricks to get it done faster(safer as well) and more clean. .

·
Registered
661 Posts
While I was getting my undergrad at WMU, I would hunt the Gourdneck state game area. The Bow Hunting was good and un-pressured if you found the right spot and did your pre-season scouting. Gun season has a little more people, but if you go off the beaten trail back a ways it is nice. PM me, I'll give you more details and where to hunt the property.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey!! I just got back from scouting the Gourdneck SGA and saw plenty of signs of deer activity. This is my first year hunting the area so I cannot speak as to the pressure the area faces. I hear that the smarter bucks take up residence in the neighborhoods accross 131 after a week of pressure. I haven't seen many signs of anyone else scouting the area (ie. trucks, footprints, stands). I have a few buddies that hunt the area every year and always see deer. Even some decent year and half old 6 and 8 points. Being that it is a state game area I wouldn't guarantee that many people let them go without drawing back on them. I have other areas that I can hunt on weekends but will be out at Gourdneck for the workday hunts. There are quite a few parking areas but if you do get off the beaten path, you'll find runs, tracks and crap all over the place. Good luck!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts