Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I have recently moved to the GR area from the Tri-Cities (Midland/Bay City area).

I have been so busy with the new job that I haven't had the chance to do much exploring.

I am looking for a some places where I can safely throw down a couple of chairs, toss some lines in the water, and fish in the evening after work. I don't have a boat right now, so access is an issue.

Can anyone recommend any places in the GR area that have access, safe locations, decent variety (don't really care what species) where I could do some casual catch-and-release fishing with the girlfriend or co-workers?

Any advice or locations would be appreciated.

Looking forward to contributing to the community, learning from all of you and sharing tips and tricks.

Jason

·
Registered
234 Posts
River is high right now so I would definitely bring some beers with your chairs and not expect a lot of action....pretty much anywhere on the Grand will give you a good shot at catching multiple species tho. I'd just scan google maps to find the public access spots that you're willing to drive to.

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
The water above 6th Street Dam isn't too fast, and you can sit along the bank on the east side. Not sure what you might catch, but I would guess you might find Carp, Smallmouth, Cats, and perhaps a few other species. If you hit 6th St at exactly the right time (in summer) you can get into fresh run Skamanias - summer-run Steelhead. They don't come in good numbers, and are highly sought after/coveted. But if your timing is right, you can be part of the fun. It really helps to be able to get there on real short notice, and have a network of friends, who can help you time it right.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Good Day,

Some good suggestions so far. There are lots of possibilities if looking to sit along some moving water. Yes, the Grand... but also Thornapple River, Muskegon (short drive), etc. There are several parks along these rivers too. Do a google search of the area and you will see what I mean. https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9101595,-85.6646745,13z There are also several parks with lakes or ponds as well. Check with the local sport shops too. They might have an angle on current hot spots.

Steelie

·
Registered
466 Posts
Good Day,

Some good suggestions so far. There are lots of possibilities if looking to sit along some moving water. Yes, the Grand... but also Thornapple River, Rogue, Muskegon (short drive), etc. There are several parks along these rivers too. Do a google search of the area and you will see what I mean. https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9101595,-85.6646745,13z There are also several parks with lakes or ponds as well. Check with the local sport shops too. They might have an angle on current hot spots.

Steelie
Unmentionable

·
Registered
466 Posts
No problem. If you want some casual fishing you should go down to 6th street with a can of corn and hammer on some carp. It's a riot and very simple to do. It's a good way to work the kinks out before salmon and steelhead start showing up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts