Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im pretty new to fly tying and i want to learn how to tie new stuff. i can pretty much only tie a wolly bugger... any reccomendations on something a beginner could tie that will actually catch fish i would really appreciate.:D

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Patience young Jedi.

Master the wooly bugger first - easy to tie, nothing it can't catch. Graduate to nymphs (Gold-ribbed Hare's ear) and later dry flies and more complicated streamers. The biggest mistake I made when starting out was trying to tie fancy dry flies that were well out of my ability range instead of mastering techniques (i.e., wrapping materials, palmering hackle, building a dubbing body, getting proportions figured out, building a head, finishing the fly, etc.). Almost all of the necessary techniques can be learned tying buggers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
One thing to keep in mind when you are beginning fly ting is proportions in materials. Makes a big difference in how the fly will act and swim. Many beginner patterns our ther, pheasant tail nymphs, matuka sculpins, zonkers, etc. Might also poke around a fly shop in your neighborhood. I am sure they would be willing to show you a trick or two. Good luck. Just remeber if all else fails use a razor blade to cut it all off your hook and begin again.:)

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts