Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone. My buddy and I will be trying for Lakers in a 100’ hole this weekend. I’ve never fished for them and just looking for a few pointers, primarily what lbs test line should we run and what bait/lure set up. We plan on jogging for them. I currently run 3lb mono on one and a 3lb fluoro coated on the other and don’t seem to have an issue pulling up Browns and Whitefish.

Thank you in advance everyone. I hope to get my first Laker soon, good luck and tight lines!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I run 12-15 lb braid with a 10 leader. Lakers do not seem line shy like other trout. 3 lb is way too light in my opinion. After pulling a 22lb Laker out last year I was questioning my 10lb choice lol.

As far as bait I mostly use white tubes. Been the most productive for me. 4 in tubes either on a tube jig or a 1/2 to 3/4 ounce jig head. Ive only been doing this for a few years so I'm not expert but that's been my best producer so far.

Good luck and stay safe!

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I run 12-15 lb braid with a 10 leader. Lakers do not seem line shy like other trout. 3 lb is way too light in my opinion. After pulling a 22lb Laker out last year I was questioning my 10lb choice lol.

As far as bait I mostly use white tubes. Been the most productive for me. 4 in tubes either on a tube jig or a 1/2 to 3/4 ounce jig head. Ive only been doing this for a few years so I'm not expert but that's been my best producer so far.

Good luck and stay safe!
fun79 is spot in with with line type, i use a medium heavy 40" homeade rod with a 2000-2500 reels with good drag i also run white grub tales some curly some strait depends on what the fish tell me on the graph or how active they are. i also have some with chartreuse highlites 4-6" also jona jigs swedish pimples elk rapids jigs in white, blue, blue silver. it also depends on what the forage is like smelt or ciscoe/white fish. my buddy has these russian nickle coated flyer type jigging spoons which absolutely crush the lakers i mean wowza, they are antiques but effective. live smelt on a tipup can be also effective but a pain for setting in deep water but ya never know. good luck and let us know how ya do

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both very much! I will make sure to get on here Saturday evening after the trip and let you know how we do. Going to my local bait shop to get the gear and tackle tonight.

Getting excited and can’t wait to see one of these up close and personal. Tight lines everyone!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also use braid, it doesn't stretch like mono. You'll feel light bites and set the hook with one lift of the rod. With a hundred foot of mono hanging down, it stretches so much that setting the hook requires a series of quick lifts and reel crank-downs. As far as style, I jig using a five-foot rod. Good luck, Higgins' lakers are a blast.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hope everyone has been able to get out fishing! So an update on the trip for Lakers. I will start by saying I never got a bite, however I was marking them and had a few interested and even a few follows but no hook ups. I met with a local on the ice and he said he was seeing the same activity. That made me feel a little more confident knowing I was in the right spot and marking Lakers. I was fishing in 102 FOW.

What advice or tips do you guys have for Lakers that are being finicky?

·
Registered
121 Posts
All the advice so far is very sound and jigging fish can be frustrating but a lot of bait changes is always in the plan until you find something they will take. I tried slender spoons last year with some good success, the large size copper with orange dots worked the best. Braid on jigging rods is key as well as having a couple tip ups or dead stick rods down with some thing alive on it, smelt are best but grays work also. Tip ups I use are homemade with larger reels to accommodate the greater depth you have to fish for the Lakers.

·
Registered
264 Posts
fun79 is spot in with with line type, i use a medium heavy 40" homeade rod with a 2000-2500 reels with good drag i also run white grub tales some curly some strait depends on what the fish tell me on the graph or how active they are. i also have some with chartreuse highlites 4-6" also jona jigs swedish pimples elk rapids jigs in white, blue, blue silver. it also depends on what the forage is like smelt or ciscoe/white fish. my buddy has these russian nickle coated flyer type jigging spoons which absolutely crush the lakers i mean wowza, they are antiques but effective. live smelt on a tipup can be also effective but a pain for setting in deep water but ya never know. good luck and let us know how ya do
Do you tip your spoons with anything ?

·
Registered
145 Posts
When jigging keep the same cadence, that lured the fish onto your sonar. Lakers analyze and time the hit. When you get away from that once one is in close you can end up missing a lot of opportunity’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.