Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, looking for a little help. Just moved to Mid-Town Detroit with my fiancé, and I have my bow stashed under my bed. I know some big bucks are taken from Wayne and Oakland county each year, so I am eager to do some driving and try to find somewhere to hunt. Just looking for a little advice. Are there areas that aren't too far off that I can go, or do I need to go do some knocking on doors?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
There is a MDNR customer service center at 1801 Atwater St in Detroit ph# (313) 396-6890 M-F 8am till 5pm might be a starting point

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
Where do you get to practice with that bow living in Mid-town Detroit?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where do you get to practice with that bow living in Mid-town Detroit?
Did a whole lot of 3d shooting the weeks leading up to moving down here. Plan on looking into the bow shops in the surrounding areas but will definitely be making trips back home to make sure I am still ready to go! I am confident with my bow, but trust me, I've been pondering that question myself!
Got any ideas?

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
Did a whole lot of 3d shooting the weeks leading up to moving down here. Plan on looking into the bow shops in the surrounding areas but will definitely be making trips back home to make sure I am still ready to go! I am confident with my bow, but trust me, I've been pondering that question myself!
Got any ideas?
LOL! No, can't help you with that, I don't shoot a bow. I was just wondering how you were going about it. I could never live there, or in any other city, far too confining for me. There are 8 houses where I live, which is 7 too many!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How willing are you to share the woods? Lots of state game areas but they're crowded.
Well I hunted the Rose Lake State game area near Lansing over the past 4 years of my time at MSU, and I don't think it gets much worse, so I guess I would consider myself willing. I've been frustrated plenty of times before, but I keep coming back for more haha.
Obviously, it is everyone's hope to find land that is low with pressure, but that is just not possible for most.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL! No, can't help you with that, I don't shoot a bow. I was just wondering how you were going about it. I could never live there, or in any other city, far too confining for me. There are 8 houses where I live, which is 7 too many!
Ahhh yes. Trust me, I'd much rather be rural, but sometimes you have to make sacrifices! Here with my fiancé while she attends grad school. Just trying to attack it with an open mind. I love walleye fishing, so that works well for me. And hey! Beer is good as well! Plenty of cool places to explore down here. So we will see how it goes!

·
Registered
14,720 Posts
Do you have any flexibility with work schedule? As another member pointed out on a different thread, public land or HAP land for weekday morning hunts during archery season can be an entirely different experience than weekend hunts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have any flexibility with work schedule? As another member pointed out on a different thread, public land or HAP land for weekday morning hunts during archery season can be an entirely different experience than weekend hunts.
Not a whole lot of work flexibility, but where there is a will, there is a way. How exactly does the HAP work?

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
Ahhh yes. Trust me, I'd much rather be rural, but sometimes you have to make sacrifices! Here with my fiancé while she attends grad school. Just trying to attack it with an open mind. I love walleye fishing, so that works well for me. And hey! Beer is good as well! Plenty of cool places to explore down here. So we will see how it goes!
Good luck! I sure don't envy you. I avoid Detroit, and all big cities, like the plague. There is nothing there for me.

It's going to be my time of year soon. With a little luck the divers will be down by late October and we will get some good shooting this year.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good luck! I sure don't envy you. I avoid Detroit, and all big cities, like the plague. There is nothing there for me.

It's going to be my time of year soon. With a little luck the divers will be down by late October and we will get some good shooting this year.
Good luck to you

·
Registered
14,720 Posts
HAP is where the state leases private land that's open to the public for hunting. In most respects it's similar to hunting public land but might be somewhat more likely to be overlooked as compared to public land that's existed for generations.

I have no familiarity with Wayne or Oakland County. I'd think you might find some HAP or public land possibilities within an hour of Detroit, perhaps in the Chelsea area.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
HAP is where the state leases private land that's open to the public for hunting. In most respects it's similar to hunting public land but might be somewhat more likely to be overlooked as compared to public land that's existed for generations.

I have no familiarity with Wayne or Oakland County. I'd think you might find some HAP or public land possibilities within an hour of Detroit, perhaps in the Chelsea area.
Good deal, I appreciate the feedback!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I am not familiar with any spots near Dearborn, but I could put you in a spot in Milford that would produce. If your willing to make the drive. It would probably be a 45 minute drive, hit me up with a private message if your interested. I have not hunted there for a few years.....it is public land.....but bow season you can go all season and not see a single hunter. I put another forum member in the spot last year and he got a nice 8.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Pm me. I can give you the skinny on some local HAP lands.

Reactions: November Sunrise

·
Registered
787 Posts
Check out Island Lakes in Livingston, Co. Go a ways back. There are definitely deer out there...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts