Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone,

i'm getting close to purchasing my first compound bow. i've been doing some research on some of specifications that may fit me and i was hoping for some input on models to fit these characteristics.

- 55-65 lbs draw weight
- medium cam (not sure of twin, hybrid, single cam though. pointers would be great)
- as far as speed goes, i'd want something around 310-320 fps
- brace height seems like either the standard 7" or 6"
- draw length 27.5"?

any pointers on the above or something not listed would be really appreciated. also, i'd like to get "fitted" or try feeling the actual bow before purchasing. are there stores that are good at working to match my physique with the right bow?

thanks for any help!

erc

ps. i think it would be important to mention i would be getting into hunting. most likely turkey and deer to start.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
forgot to mention the price range. i'm not looking to bust open my wallet but just get a reliable and capable bow. i've seen bow packages going upwards of $499.

would a price range of $300 - $400 get me everything i need to get to the range and practicing?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Used yes, new with some of your criteria most likely not. Where are you located? There are plenty of "decent" entry level bow packages out there that are close to your speed (IBO) but if you expect that with a 27.5" DL it is not going to happen with a hunting weight arrow. Look at the Quest Rouge package along with some of the Bear and....gulp PSE models. Not a PSE fan but there are a ton of choices and they do shoot. All you need is 60#. I choose 70+ because that is what I want. Where ever you go make sure they triple check your draw length as it is the most important aspect (foundation) of being able to shoot well. Let the flood gates open.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
will they size me up for a more accurate draw length and help me configure to that IBO?

i'm in the metro detroit area. where would i start looking for used packages? i've always seen bows hanging at gander, dunhams, etc but wasn't sure if they would actually be knowledgeable with bow fitting. i was always afraid they'd just try to make the sale and off me with a poor choice.

·
Registered
649 Posts
You can get into a PSE brute for $500. It covers everything you're looking for at a reasonable price. I shoot it and love it. Not sure you're going to find your requirements in a bow with sights and rest under $500. Don't forget you need a release, arrows and broadheads too. It all adds up

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
649 Posts
Craigslist for used. Archery shops for new. Not a major chain store, IMO they will be far less knowledgeable on how to set you up.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
will there be some degradation in quality or bow ability if i buy used? what are some things i should be on the lookout for if i buy used?

thanks for the help fellas. really appreciate it.

erc

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
will they size me up for a more accurate draw length and help me configure to that IBO?

i'm in the metro detroit area. where would i start looking for used packages? i've always seen bows hanging at gander, dunhams, etc but wasn't sure if they would actually be knowledgeable with bow fitting. i was always afraid they'd just try to make the sale and off me with a poor choice.
Used equipment can be a good deal if you know how to look for it and what you want. You would do well to research as much as you cab prior to making any purchase. I used to work at the Gander in Utica and would have had no issues with you coming to see ME. However, in 95% of the cases you will experience just what you described. Schupachs in Jackson, Bearfoot, not sure where they are but not far. As much as you want to get shooting, take your time and get it right the first time. I would bet a good sum of money that we lose hundreds of new shooters every year to poorly chosen/fitted equipment. Folks get too long a draw or to much weight and feel that they do not "have what it takes" to be an archer/bow hunter.

·
Administrator
17,555 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
beyond all the bow specifications to match my bow preference, does the brand of bow make any difference? for example in quality, customer service, longevity of hardware, etc etc?

since this is my first, i want to invest into a decent piece of equipment that would last me awhile. thoughts?

·
Registered
290 Posts
My 2 cents if your gonna invest some money and want a quality bow just take the money you want to spend on the bow and double it...i thought i was in the clear when i bought a new used bow this year and got a decent deal on it...but i ended up spending twice as much money on it because i wanted a different sight than what was originally on it then a better rest then had to take it to get it set up professionally and paper tuned and adjust this and that then bought new arrows and broad heads and nockturns and replaced the harmonic dampers and now i want a custom string so everything looks sweet...before i knew it i had 1000 dollars into my 400 dollar upgrade...bows are expensive. Period. Or maybe its just me :lol::lol::lol:

Goodlcuk!!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Pick one that fits you best. Most archery places, even places like cabelas, gander mountain, dicks, have a bow range. If you walk in there and say I am walking out with a bow, they will adjust bows to your size and weight requirement and let you shoot any that you want. Don't get caught up in the brand battle (unless it's bear, their the best). Find what is comfortable in your hand, all the bows from the major manufactures are pretty much on par with each other, but their balance, grips, and cams will be different. I'd suggest a single cam, only because it's more forgiving than a dual, plus they don't get out of tune as quickly. There are a couple bows within your price range, bear encounter, pse stinger 3G, infinite edge (spelling?), and I'm sure there are more. With one of those three you should be around 430 out the door, don't quote me, but the packages do not include target (30 bucks +-), release (30-50), arrows 40-1000000), or field points (maybe 5 bucks?). I bought the bear encounter and got everything but the target, and out the door I was around 520 if I remember right. I did splurge on good arrows and got broad heads as well though. All these packages will have a ibo of 310 + or - 5. Again, hold them all, shoot them all, pick what's comfortable. Any bow can shoot a deer, only a good shot will kill a deer.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
awesome. thanks everyone for the feedback and all the great tips. i'll be looking into some of the models you guys mentioned and working from there. i will definitely be heading to the shop to hold and test shoot as much as i can before making my purchase.

thanks again.

erc

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
If you know the bow you want you usually can get a very good deal on Ebay.
Now is probably not the best time to buy it there though with the demand. Prices go up this time of year.
I got a mathews one year old z7 extreme for about $500.00
got that in March though.
always worth a look though.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
If your interested I've got a Bear Truth I have for a backup that I'm looking to off. Can't remember the exact year 07ish? Specs at 27"Dl 60# DW. Single cam chronoed with 400 grain hunting arrows at 240. Not the fastest rig but I never had an issue with pass thrus. Has a newer Streeter custom archery string and cable, whisker bisquit and 3pin truglo, peep, d loop. Drop me a PM if your interested. 454casull knows about this rig, he's the one who chronoed it for me!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Also have a Trufire wrist style release and 4-5 carbon express terminator lite hunters I'd be willing to throw in for a package deal to get you started. All you'll need is a quiver (if you want one) and some broadheads. Then practice practice practice!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
big shout out and thank you to chevyguy!

met him up today and he took the time to completely walk me through getting set up with a compound bow. he was super kind and very helpful with all my questions.

i am proud to say that i am a happy owner of a compound bow. time to start practicing!

happy hunting everyone! :):):)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts