Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I decided last night to try archery. I need a little help on where to start. I'm thinking about buying a used bow from Craigslist and then taking a couple of lessons. Any help would be great.

·
Administrator
17,555 Posts
Do you have any friends that shoot? It would be nice to have someone look at the bow with you, and shoot it if possible to make sure it looks ok.
Also, most experienced archers can have you shooting decent groups with good form in a few hours. The key being good form. Once developed, bad habbits can be hard to correct.
<----<<<

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Glad you decided to try it out. As JA stated with proper equipment and set up you can be shooting reasonable groups rather quickly. Don't get the impression that it is EASY you will have to practice but that is half the fun. I would caution you against CL, I just don't trust that site, but as a beginner you may not know all of the necessary questions to ask. I see people bring in just purchased bows with draw lengths way too long for the shooter to even have a chance at shooting correctly. Go to a reputable (very subjective btw) Pro-shop or if you know and trust an experienced shooter ask them to assist. Let us know where abouts you are located and we can make suggestions. Archery Talk has a fantastic classified section and there are some great deals on good equipment but as with anything the the buyer beware (I'd trust AT before CL for sure).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies

I'm in St Clair Shores, MI. I'll most likely be trying this out on my own for now. There is an archery shop (MJC Archery)near me that I plan on visiting. I just dont want to spend a lot until I know this is something that I want to persue. Any suggestions on what I should starting for?

I have way too many side projects as it is.

·
Administrator
17,555 Posts
There are a couple bow shops in my area that I see used bows for sale all the time. Selfrige Bait and Tackle (M-59 and Jefferson), and Anglers and Archers (23 mile and Jefferson).
I believe that both of these shops are reputable. They probably will give you an honest assessment of their used bows, and also help to see if the draw length fits you as well.
<----<<<

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
See Tim a Mor Archery on Vandyke between 21&22 mile. I work at the Utica Gander mountain but they probably will not have regular archery coverage for at least another month or so. Would like to help but I cannot until they give me some hours. Just as a heads up. You can get a very good new set up ready to shoot minus arrows and release starting at $400.00. Just something to give you a base to judge how much the used equipment may cost. I will say this, if you get set up right you will more than like the sport.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
There are a couple bow shops in my area that I see used bows for sale all the time. Selfrige Bait and Tackle (M-59 and Jefferson), and Anglers and Archers (23 mile and Jefferson).
I believe that both of these shops are reputable. They probably will give you an honest assessment of their used bows, and also help to see if the draw length fits you as well.
<----<<<
They still open?

·
Registered
411 Posts
MJC is a nice shop they sell new and used. I would look at and shoot as many as you can and find what you like best.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Administrator
17,555 Posts
They still open?
OH wait! I believe that Anglers and Archers moved again to a location on Jefferson between 21 and 23 miule Road. But yes, they are still open...... somewhere. I will see if I can find them....
<----<<<

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Any local colleges nearby offer a intro to archery class?
My wife took one at msu, they provided evrything she needed to shoot as well as taught her alot of solid fundementals.
Then after talking to a few people there she figured out what she wanted in a bow.
Not sure on comm. Colleges in that area.
Welcome to the addiction and if you are like me will enjoy being 10yds from a deer while you are in a light jacket and can still feel your fingrers and toes.. It soooo much better than gun hunting and you see more deer too.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Any local colleges nearby offer a intro to archery class?
My wife took one at msu, they provided evrything she needed to shoot as well as taught her alot of solid fundementals.
Then after talking to a few people there she figured out what she wanted in a bow.
Not sure on comm. Colleges in that area.
Welcome to the addiction and if you are like me will enjoy being 10yds from a deer while you are in a light jacket and can still feel your fingrers and toes.. It soooo much better than gun hunting and you see more deer too.
Give this guy a call
http://www.michiganarchery.net/michigan-tournaments/

·
Administrator
17,555 Posts
Joe I think your thinking of M&M. They have nothing in stock. MJC is the best and closest to you.
Yep, you are right - I meant M & M! I believe they used to be Anglers and Archers when they were out on 23 Mile? I agree - MJC is a good shop as well but I didn't know they had used bows in stock.
M & M is now on Jefferson and Sugarbush Rd. in Chesterfield (between 21 and 23 Mile). Phone number is 586 716-9667. He has a LOT of used bows in stock. He recommended one particular package that he said was real nice. A Martin Jaguar (?) - fully loaded package, new cables and strings, and adjustable draw length that he is asking $300.00 for.
Anyway, if he tells you that a bow is in good shape it has been my experience that you can believe him.
<----<<<

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
another option, is to visit a local archery club, flint bowman, oakland cty sportsman, etc. usually, the members have a bulliten board with pics ,and stats of bows or archery equip. they are selling, and this would be a much better venue in my book than craigs, as these are archers selling bows, probably to get the new and improved bow. I belong to flint bowman, and we have guys who go throuh 2-4 bows a year, some are sponsered, some are not, but used bows do not really draw a lot of money. check phone book, and call to see. just a thought

1 - 15 of 15 Posts