Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard of a brown trout caught the other day in Arcadia. I have heard 2 versions of this story:1) this brown was a new state record and 2) it wasn't a new state record, but it was well over 30#, can anyone tell me if this fish was true, either way it apparently was a huge brown, I just wish it was mine. <"><

·
Registered
481 Posts
I pulled the following from the DNR site, from the weekly fishing report:

The first state record fish has been recorded for this year in the Master Angler Program administered by the Department of Natural Resources. Angler Larry E. Curtis of Reed City, Michigan caught a record-setting brown trout weighing in at 34.62 pounds and measuring 40 1/2-inches in size on April 5. Curtis was trolling along the coastline of Lake Michigan offshore of Manistee County when he reeled in his record catch. Tom Rozich, Department of Natural Resources fisheries biologist at Cadillac, identified the fish. The previous brown trout record was a 34.45 pound brown trout, also taken from Lake Michigan waters off Manistee County on April 23, 1998 by Burton Reid of Freesoil, Michigan.

Good fishing all.

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow what a fish, thanks decoy for the reply on e-mail. I quess I never thought to look on the DNR site for this info. <"><

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Wow, that is so cool! One year later and from the same area as the last one. What do they use for these monsters? I know it says they were trolling but with what kind of lures (size, and color)? Not that I'll ever make it out to try myself. I'm kind of surprised they aren't picking up monsters like this in the fall, heading up river to spawn. Hmmm, maybe they just haven't reached spawning age yet. If thats the case just wait til they do!!! I think I'll spend a little extra time on the Big Man this next fall, what do you think?

------------------
Phish

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Erik, I know they were using body baits, but I don't know which ones, colors, size, etc. But it seems to happen every year in this area, someone gets at least one 30#er somewhere between Manistee and Platte Bay. BTW Erik, this is BILL @ CC

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Heck, I know who you are Bill. Although I'm not quite sure how you came up with the name toto. Hey we're still planning on comming up to the betsie next month. Any suggestions on trout rigs? I thought about bringing my new fly rod but probably its too heavy for stream trout. I probably wont get many chances to fish with all that they have planned for us anyways. I'll try to e-mail yah about it soon. Been really busy lately, as a matter of fact my wife is giving me a dirty look right this minute cause she wants me to get offline to spend some time with her! Sooo I better go now.
See yah!

------------------
Phish

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you ever seen Wizard Of Oz? The little dog? "Somewhere over the Rainbow"? Get it? HEHEHE<"><

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Oh, Ohkay, I get it now,.... I think... Yah that makes alot more sense than the ballerina outfit I had pictured you in!
It wasn't a pretty picture, I can tell you that!

------------------
Phish

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But I'm so pretty in that ballerina outfit. Actually, at nite I wear a diaper and dance around the room singing I feel pretty. My wife really gets turned by that. <">< HEHEHE

1 - 9 of 9 Posts