Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a new Sony Bravia 40" LCD TV today and got it hooked up. I'm pretty disappointed with the picture quality so far, pretty blurry. Got it hooked up with a coaxial going from my DishNetwork box directly connected to the TV. Tried different settings (sharpness, hue, etc.) to no avail. Is there a better/different way to make the connection from my satellite box to the TV?

·
Registered
802 Posts
the picture quality may seem a little grainy without an HD feed. The TV is built for a much higher resolution than standard TV. I would suggest going in to the menu and there might be a setting for resolution. Turn it town to 480p from either the 720 or 1080 it is set at and that should help you.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
the picture quality may seem a little grainy without an HD feed. The TV is built for a much higher resolution than standard TV. I would suggest going in to the menu and there might be a setting for resolution. Turn it town to 480p from either the 720 or 1080 it is set at and that should help you.

:yeahthat:

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
yep.... if you don't have HD dish service, it will interpolate pixels to get color and you get a bit of graininess... (on mine its not too bad, but on my uncle's its horrible). Along with what everyone else says, is there an aspect button for your tv or dish? if so, you may be able to keep it from stretching the picture to fill the tv, and give you normal 480 aspect ratios..... it will box your picture in, but should look much better.

i don't know how much dish hd is, but if its reasonable, i'd recommend you go that route.

just out of curiosity.... is your tv 1080p or 720p?

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
also, if your dish box has component digital video out, go that route instead of coax....

if it has HDMI (and your tv does also), go that route above all others, but the cable is about 30 bucks or so (depending on length and "quality" (I won't get into that)).

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
also, if your dish box has component digital video out, go that route instead of coax....

if it has HDMI (and your tv does also), go that route above all others, but the cable is about 30 bucks or so (depending on length and "quality" (I won't get into that)).
Bingo! Even on a digital feed(non hd) coaxial will only transfer about 300 lines or resolution, component or HDMI will at least transfer the full digitial picture of around 540 lines of resolution. Ie right now you have VHS quality, with better cables you can probably get DVD quality.

And if you get an HD source the picture will be amazing.

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
I'm going to agree with the three previous replies. Coax sucks!

I'd use component video at the very least. I'd imagine that your satellite tuner will have that type of output. HDMI is the bomb! If you just bought the set yesterday I'd be surprised if it doesn't have an HDMI input. If your satellite box has an HDMI out, USE IT. :)

Good luck!

John

EDIT:

Check here for cables. It's where I got mine and they work fine and were MUCH less expensive than I could buy locally! I wouldn't go with the cheapest ones they have but I went a step up and got the better ones. They were half the cost of what I could go out and buy and they work fine.

https://www.cablesforless.com/c-276-hdmi-cables-accessories.aspx

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies, guys! I figured it was probably the type of connection.

My satellite box has only coaxial, RCA, and S-Video outputs. My DVD/VCR player does have the component outputs. Would I be better off connecting with the S-Video outputs? The TV does have HDMI inputs, but neither of my other units do.

I can't find where to change the resolution on the TV, I believe it is fixed at 1080p.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts