1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The TT does nothing for me. I don't want pins from every firection blocking my sight window...Just personal preference really.

I do have an Extreme archery sight though and I love it. I picked it up for $40 on ebay and used it for the FITA spots. It could be a little brighter in the pin department but once I installed the light I wouldn't take my money back for it. Option of .019 or .029 pins, all metal pin guard...actually the only plastic on it is the fiber. Very sturdy.
Here's the one I have and you can order scope lenses for almost all of them as well. Nice option.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trushot, do you have the optional purple light on the Extreme?
http://www.extremearchery.com/accessories.html
Does it bother deer or anything? Is it just bright enough to give the fiber op's a boost? Does the light use one of those hearing aid batteries? I was thinking of going with the standard .029, but open to .019. Did you get .019 or .029? I don't plan on any shots longer than 30 yards. Shouldn't .029 be fine? Anyone else use .019 and have any issues with low light at say 15-25 yards?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I think I have the Blue one, but it may be the purple...not sure.

As afr as spooking deer I really don't know as I haven't hunted with it so far, only the indoor spots and a couple 3D shoots. I really really doubt it will spook anything s it's not like a flashlight....just a nice glow to really light them up. Yes it does take the little hearing aid/watch tyoe batteries and I've used it a LOT already with no signs of waning power so they do last a while.

I opted for the .019 and while the .029 may be better lit without the light I prefer to have as little in my sight window as possible. The .019 are a little more refined and let you get more accurate at greater distances I believe as well.

I still use the Impact Cosmic on my Patriot and at 20 yards the .029 pin completely covers the 10 ring and most of the 9 on a FITA 3 spot. Too big for me, but I'll hunt with it.

If you get the light I;'d do the smaller pins. You may or may not need it with the bigger I haven't seen one in the real conditions.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I just yesterday bought the Extreme Sniper XG500 with the purple light. ($140 at Cabela's) Talk about a great sight! It's nice to get my hands on a sight that's got NO PLASTIC (except for the pins). You can even get sunshades and magnification lens (by ZEISS).

Though I haven't hunted with it yet, I'd doubt the deer could see the purple light because of the way it's mounted - it screws firmly into the front of the sight and shines back onto the fiber optic threads. A simple twist turns it on/off. VERY SLICK!

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Extreme Sniper 500 is going on my new bow. Excellent sight all around, from what I've read and heard.

And the Ziess lenses are actually fairly cheap, $100 for 3x - $120 for 4x and $150 for 6x - if my memory serves.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a great sight, but I decided to go the other way and try the Top Pin. What the hell, right? I already ordered one. I sent the maker of Top Pin an e-mail and was sold after that. It appears that in the PM hours, the natural light will be more than enough to charge the glow in the dark tape for if hunting in a tent blind or treestand. Here's what I sent and the reply...

"I plan on buying and sometimes hunting out of a Double Bull tent blind. Some fiber optics get tough to see at dark while inside the blind. I see that the Top Pin sight has glow in the dark tape wrapped around the fiber. Am I to assume that I could see the fiber optics when it's right at dark, from inside my darkened blind? Can you see the pins even after dark, for example?
Thanks,
Bob"

Reply...
"Bob,
Thanks for your inquiry. Yes, the extended fiber to the top pin is
wrapped around a layer of glow in the dark tape that helps hold light and transmit it to the top pin in extremely low light situations and even in total darkness...providing that the glow in the dark tape has a sufficient charge. The charge can be from natural light, or artificial light, so a cupped hand around a flashlight pointed at the glow tape will charge the tape from
inside the blind in the am hours. As for pm hours, we have tested the fiber and it holds a charge well beyond when you can actually see an animal. Keep in mind that this is only on the top pin...the other pins are standard fiber optic pins that will not gather or hold light like the top pin will. In short, as long as you are not shooting past top pin yardage from your Double Bull blind in those very dark hours, you will have a great sight to meet your needs. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Sincerely,
Jerrod Lile
Trophy Taker, Inc
P.S.- With a full charge to the glow in the dark tape, I can take the sight into our bathroom with the light off and door closed...virtually pitch black and see my top pin and the peep alignment ring glowing in the dark. Pretty neat!

"What's the suggested retail for the Top Pin and are you shipping yet?
Bob"

"Hi Bob,
We actually have started shipping some of our sights, however the majority of them will begin shipping out around the end of next week or the first part of the following week. The price is $99.99 for a black 4-pin non-micro adjust and $107.99 for Camo. The micro-adjust prices are $126.99 for black & $133.99 for camo. The 7-pin sights are $122.99 for black & $130.99 for
camo non-micro and $147.99 & $154.99 for micro-adjust models.
Thank-you,
Paula
Trophy Taker, Inc."

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Cool. I like that glow tape trick...a lot.

Post a review of it after you play with it a bit if you would. I'd love to hear what you think of it.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds good, I will.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
I too would like to hear you opinion once you get your hands on it. Do you know if the two horizontal pins are removable? And if so is there enough adjustments in the lower and upper pins to use it as a two pin sight? I have a Cosmic Impact right now and it's more than bright enough, but it's a single pin. Works fine, but the thought of an additional second pin has me thinking. The glow in the dark tape trick is pretty slick! I'm also thinking about a Pollington so who knows!

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was thinking the same myself. I don't think there's any adjustment on top or bottom, other than micro-moving the whole sight. I'd have to think the 2 middle ones are removeable. I was thinking about taking out one and using it as a 3 pin sight. I'll e-mail them back and ask. Good question.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looking at the link again, it does look like there's adjustments on top an bottom pin.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, all but the top pin can be removed. Here's the e-mail reply...

Bob,
Thanks for your inquiry. Yes. Actually, the two horizontal pins and the
vertical bottom pin are all easily removed if you desire. Please let me
know if you have any further questions.
Sincerely,
Jerrod Lile
Trophy Taker, Inc

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Thanks Bob, sounds pretty tempting. One more thing to consider I guess......it just never ends! I think my best option is to buy a few more bows to make room for all these cool accesories!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Did you say that you have actually used that glow paint Quak ? If that paint does even half of what it claims then I will be gettin some of that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts