Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i last posted about the remington 1100 loaner that i was gonna use and im positive i called about 15 different places to find a rifled barrel for it with no luck what so ever untill after gun season =( i was pretty damn bummed!! so i took my last chance i whent to the second dicks sporting goods in my area and came across a mossberg 500 field and deer combo for 270 along with a scope already mounted and got the little extra money borrowed to cover it so im picking it up today, after being realy down n bummed about just thinking i wouldent be able to hunt this firearm season was a drag but now im at high hopes again as ill be picking it up today... Best of luck to all out in the field :)

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Mossberg 500 are hard guns to beat for the money.....good luck.....Mack

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Good choice on the Moss 500. That was my first gun and i still use it 11 yrs later. Its dropped many deer and ducks. The only thing I dont like about the Moss500 is the scope mounts on the gun instead of the barrel so when duck hunting early I have to remove and put the scope back on. Just have to start from scratch sighting in every year. I havent had time for duck hunting this year so Im good but just so you know. Also, make sure they have an over under on it if it still has the safety on the top of the back. Without it its a pain turning your safety on/off! Good luck!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Very durable gun. Not bad shooter either. May not be as pretty as some of the others but who cares.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I also recently bought that combo from dicks. The gun also has a twenty dollar mail in rebate. I bought the twenty gauge for my girlfriend. She is shooting the hornady sst slugs and was shooting great at 50 and 75 yards. Very pleased for 250 dollars.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good choice on the Moss 500. That was my first gun and i still use it 11 yrs later. Its dropped many deer and ducks. The only thing I dont like about the Moss500 is the scope mounts on the gun instead of the barrel so when duck hunting early I have to remove and put the scope back on. Just have to start from scratch sighting in every year. I havent had time for duck hunting this year so Im good but just so you know. Also, make sure they have an over under on it if it still has the safety on the top of the back. Without it its a pain turning your safety on/off! Good luck!

thanks yeah i like it alot i got it early this morning lol a half hour after they opened lol but actualy the slug barrel is a cantilever on the one that i got which i thought was pretty cool the duck barrel doesent have the cantilever im not to up to date with duck hunting at all realy but i dident think it was suppost to have it lol ?? correct me if im wrong. but yeah the safety is on the back top slide type(not sure of the correct term if thats what you mean).. but i whent straight from the store to the gun range got it scoped n shot a few times =) im impressed lol my first gun also to add but whooaa boy does it kick my ass after quite a few shots lol but yeah i like it alot pretty acurate at the course but ofcourse its indoor so its only about 30 35 yards so im not sure how acurate it is beyond that? thanks and good luck too you also!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also recently bought that combo from dicks. The gun also has a twenty dollar mail in rebate. I bought the twenty gauge for my girlfriend. She is shooting the hornady sst slugs and was shooting great at 50 and 75 yards. Very pleased for 250 dollars.
yeah i was pondering getting the 20 guage but i said screw it mine as well head for the 12.. n yeah its very reasonably priced i had a 10 dollar off coupon from the 2008 dnr book plus the rebate so cant beat that lol.. i also am using the hornady sst slugs pretty darn good shells if u ask me =) my arms a little tender lol

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Bought that combo for my son last year in 20 gauge youth. He upgraded the scope this year but it's been a great gun for him. Added bonus is he shoots left handed and flicking the safety on and off is much easier for him.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bought that combo for my son last year in 20 gauge youth. He upgraded the scope this year but it's been a great gun for him. Added bonus is he shoots left handed and flicking the safety on and off is much easier for him.[/qu

yeah i like it alot! what kind of slugs do you have him use? ive heard that the hornady sst's are a very good slug and shot with them at the range for practice id have to say im impressed

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
We're currently using the Hornady SST's as well. IIRC, the last time we went to the range, we were getting maybe 2" groups at 50 yards. His particular gun doesn't like the Hastings as well and a guy at the store said his gun likes the Lightfields best. YMMV.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts