Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work in a sporting goods store in Mid Michigan and was talking to the reps from Loomis, and St. Croix the other day. It looks as if the companies are going to do away with their rods designed to accomodate Michigan fisherman. No more production of the Michigan handle rods!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
MD, Pardon me for being ignorant and stupid (I've been called worse!) but are these fly rods? Got any pics of what a "Michigan Handle" looks like? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Float or bottom bouncing rod.
[/IMG]

·
Banned
3,519 Posts
MD,

Did they say when this is going into effect for sure? What's their reasoning behind it? Doesn't seem like a very bright move on their part, IMO.

·
Registered
13,870 Posts
As long as they build the blanks, I can have someone tie rods for me. I like to choose the colors of my wraps, and it is less expensive to get custom rods. If you find a custom rod-builder who does large-scale business (not many left) they usually get the first-quality blanks as well. An IMX at Cabelas is not necessarily the same as an IMX from Loomis or from a good rod builder.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is for the 2006 year that these rods have been discontinued. I hope that these companies inspired a new wave of custom rod building here in Michigan. We are pretty much the only state that uses that handle style.

·
Registered
374 Posts
muskydan is absoultly right i built a steelhead rod for a guy on the west coast he argued it was a fly rod.... man what a mess that was.... they insist on holding on the reel seat with 2 inches on the fore grip and 10 or better on the back... thats just good news for us rod builders 90% that i know and build rods for steelies love the michigan drift style rod there loss i guess if that is so and there numbers will drop they will relize last year they dropped there sc2 line up in fly rod blanks lost alot of sales and guess what came back this year the sc2 some companys make mistakes they will learn for shure tight lines........... steel

·
Registered
471 Posts
They are still listed in catalog for 2006 in both loomis and st croix, avid series and wild river. Loomis also still has the very popular STR1173S-SK which is a 9'9" gl3 and gl2 rating. All have been very popular for their being a regional rod more so than loomis float rod series will ever be I dont see them going away and havent had my reps telling anything to that tune.

Sideshow

·
Banned
3,519 Posts
Just got an e-mail from Andrew Marshall, customer service at G.Loomis, stating that they are in fact going to discontinue their steelhead rods with the Skamania style handle starting in 2006. He said what they have in stock now are it. He didn't state why they are doing this, though. Damn, talk about a major-league bummer! :sad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts