Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a st croix avid 9' 6" medium, fast action for steelie fishin this year and man I love it. But I wondered if it is enough rod for the fall salmon run?

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
Salmon are a different beast when it comes to rods...just when you think you've got a rod that turns them into whimpering puppies, you get a king on steroids that snaps your stick into about five pieces! God, I love those fish!!! :cool:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
chibear54 said:
i have the same rod, i love it for steelhead, but doesn't really have enough back bone for a large salmon.
I would have to disagree...I have used my Wild river 9' light action for years on salmon and it is still working wonders...Now that I have said that it will probably break this fall...:lol:

·
Registered
374 Posts
the piers and channel wall oh yeah. the river it deppends i used a med.power 9ft croix last fall and i had to do some chasin but i dont mind wouldent be fishin if you dident have to run a little..st.croix has some of the strongest hoop designs in there avid line or sc3 blank and up.... strong rods.......

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
thousandcasts said:
Salmon are a different beast when it comes to rods...just when you think you've got a rod that turns them into whimpering puppies, you get a king on steroids that snaps your stick into about five pieces! God, I love those fish!!! :cool:
And don't forget the stink they have! You know, that smell. Nothing in the world smells like a king.:fish: :fish: :corkysm55

1 - 6 of 6 Posts