Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
161 - 180 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
For you tough guys, hope you shoot the biggest buck of your lifetime this season and find yourself in a situation where your unable to have it mounted or even show it off in the least bit. My lord, we are one of the last states to enter the 21st century. Quit griping about deer and deer hunting if you can't even make a slight effort to register your game. Grow the F up. Hunters out west would laugh in your face hysterically if they read this thread.
I don't imagine ever having a shot at a buck again. Sorry, no pics. Sort of frees one up to get the two buck tag also.

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
What is the penalty for not reporting?
Fines for misdemeanors for violating the wildlife conservation order typically range $50-500 unless otherwise spelled out for an infraction. Local judges set the precedent for penalites in their county. That is why you hear stories about one guy being fined $325 for illegal bait and another saying $375.

The DNR has said they aren't planning on writing tickets this year.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Premium Member
33,878 Posts
Fines for misdemeanors for violating the wildlife conservation order typically range $50-500 unless otherwise spelled out for an infraction. Local judges set the precedent for penalites in their county. That is why you hear stories about one guy being fined $325 for illegal bait and another saying $375.

The DNR has said they aren't planning on writing tickets this year.

I can see hunters waiting until they get home from a week long hunt or not reporting at all. Even if the DNR says they can go to a local library and use their computer and internet, not everyone wants to shoe ID to use their computer and internet. And not everyone will admit to owning a smart phone.

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
I can see hunters waiting until they get home from a week long hunt or not reporting at all. Even if the DNR says they can go to a local library and use their computer and internet, not everyone wants to shoe ID to use their computer and internet. And not everyone will admit to owning a smart phone.
I agree completely. This was why I argued against it for a long time. I think the biggest issue will be people just not knowing they have to.

I think the DNR realizes the compliance rate will be low. The survey return rate was also bad. They will have to extrapolate the data somehow. With the survey system they knew exactly how many didnt respond. Not sure how you do it with only counting successful hunters.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I can see hunters waiting until they get home from a week long hunt or not reporting at all.
Where it will become an issue is if commercial processors and taxidermists will be required to collect the confirmation number before they can accept a deer for processing or a cape for mounting. If that is enforced this year, I can see a lot of hunters showing up at a processor and being told the deer can't be accepted without a confirmation number.

·
Registered
749 Posts
If the compliance rate is 0% or 100% I couldn't care less. I'll report because it's not that big of a deal. If this regulation improves things that would be fantastic. But I expect that it won't.
If you're up north and can't report, don't report. It's the DNR not the IRS, they aren't the most adept organization on the planet. 😅

If I relied on the DNR in a meaningful way or expected them to improve my hunting situation, man that would be a tough road to go down. My success and my failures are my own.

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
Where it will become an issue is if commercial processors and taxidermists will be required to collect the confirmation number before they can accept a deer for processing or a cape for mounting. If that is enforced this year, I can see a lot of hunters showing up at a processor and being told the deer can't be accepted without a confirmation number.
It will not be an issue this.year because they will just have to call and report. Problem solved.

·
47,703 Posts
I agree completely. This was why I argued against it for a long time. I think the biggest issue will be people just not knowing they have to.

I think the DNR realizes the compliance rate will be low. The survey return rate was also bad. They will have to extrapolate the data somehow. With the survey system they knew exactly how many didnt respond. Not sure how you do it with only counting successful hunters.

Maybe they'll count scat one year to the next and estimate lmao!

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I've only read the 1st page on this post and will only say one thing....I go to deer camp, in part, to get away from many things.... technology is # 1....and no I don't use a gps, lol....

If they can't let me be at deer camp....!!??....next thing their going to want is a picture of your kill site, like an Amazon delivery, gps coordinates are a gimmie....

Will scroll thru rest of posts when I can....this state is something else,....I call total BS....

Reactions: Tilden Hunter
161 - 180 of 251 Posts