Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just got a quad I plan on using for ice fishing. I have always been a snowmobile guy but could not pass up the deal. Just curious as to if you guys use chains or studs on your quads. Thank you for the input.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Chains for me, I can't imagine studs would do as well in deep snow as chains would. Studs work well on bare ice. I have a big bear 4x4 and runs chains all around, just about nothing stops it. Deep slush will.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
put kold kutters studs in mine in 2006..love em.most of the time the wind blows snow off ice up here so it's not a problem.studs on ice are great..
had a buddy put chains on his one came loose and tore his fiber glass fender off:yikes: before he could stop

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I've never used chains or studs. Deep snow and slush have been the things that have made a couple of my trips tuff, and I guess I don't know if those will help ya in those conditions.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
4x4 timberwolf I have chains on the rear works good in the snow. May add some screws in the fronts for steering on the ice.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
419 Posts
When I first bought my cat I slid all over the place, didn't like not having control. Put the chains on the next weekend. It had warmed up that week. So I go for a ride along the bay shore. Found a soft spot in just less than 2 ft !!! Oh ###$. But the cat didn't stall,thanks to the snorkel. Kind of sat their in shock. Cat still running. Gave it the gas and it Popped right up on to good ice. The rest of the day I really put the AC through its paces. Chains ,IMO

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
If you go chains you definitely want to secure the, I've got the link you secure with a wrench and then a rubber bunji strap for some extra tightening on the chains. I got a buddy, his chain came loose, cost him around $140 for a new fender, the right side just shattered with the cold temps ...

Sent from my VS910 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
250 Posts
put kold kutters studs in mine in 2006..love em.most of the time the wind blows snow off ice up here so it's not a problem.studs on ice are great..
had a buddy put chains on his one came loose and tore his fiber glass fender off:yikes: before he could stop
:D:D:D

Have hardened Studs now for several years. They work in deep snow too.
Don't bother to remove them for summer either.

Dorf

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I run "V" grip chains on all 4 tires on my Honda Rincon. You have to customize them some-shorten them so they don't rub or hit the fenders at higher speeds. I let the air mostly out, tighten the chains on and use bungie cords both inside and outside of each tire, and put air back in. I do have a 2-up sled that I prefer over the quad- each has their day on the Bay pending conditions.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I run "V" grip chains on all 4 tires on my Honda Rincon. You have to customize them some-shorten them so they don't rub or hit the fenders at higher speeds. I let the air mostly out, tighten the chains on and use bungie cords both inside and outside of each tire, and put air back in. I do have a 2-up sled that I prefer over the quad- each has their day on the Bay pending conditions.

That's the way, I am not sure most guys know that when they keep talking about slapping fenders? I also deflate/inflate, after custom fitting the length, then they are practically a part of your tire.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
That's the way, I am not sure most guys know that when they keep talking about slapping fenders? I also deflate/inflate, after custom fitting the length, then they are practically a part of your tire.
Before we tracked our Argo we chained it the same way. No slipping or whipping of chains

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yup me too. I wire tie the loose ends as tight as I can get them, zip ties where needed as well. If there coming off or fender slapping your not mounting them correctly

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Your right about that ken, both have optimal uses out there. I have a sled, but borrow the old mans quad late in the year when the snow is gone and shore gets sloppy.

Mr. Fales...we gonna hook up this winter? My dad claims he is all done, kinda bums me out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Pm'd you Skip. Working in Lansing currently, waiting to launch soon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts